Eggs After Antibiotics

Pipsqueek

In the Brooder
Nov 21, 2015
Northern VA
Hi, I treated one of my Australorps with Penicillin, Tylan powder, and worming liquid (forgot the name) But I was told by the vet my hen would now be a pet chicken not worthy of eggs.

It has been 3 months, and she does lay eggs, not too regular as before, and sometimes I can tell which is hers because there are white chalky dots on it. The Penicillin was chalky white liquid. Are the white dots from that? When I crack her eggs open, still after three months, the egg white is like liquid. There's never that thicker egg white around the yolk. Is it true her eggs should always be thrown out? Will she ever lay a good egg? Is she really "pet only" and not an egg producer? I have another Australorp and when we get her egg, we can't always tell them apart so we throw both out.

Thanks for any advice,
Pipsqueek

Your vet is telling you what s/he has to tell you in order to be in compliance with the laws. There are several off-label uses of medications that are not cleared by the FDA for use on poultry. Theoretically, unless a drug/medication/treatment has undergone stringent testing, it cannot be cleared for use in animals that provide food to the general public. That being said, what drugs did you use? I am absolutely sure that these meds are some that we (poultry keepers) use all the time, and the clearance time has more than been met. Your eggs are absolutely fine to eat unless you are using some crazy, radioactive isotopes to cure worms and a cough.

That being said- what did you treat the birds for? If you have a respiratory ailment in your flock, the eggs are fine to eat after the clearance time has passed, but no eggs should be sold for hatching. Respiratory problems in poultry are often chronic in nature and spread readily to uninfected birds.

Look at the first post for antibiotics And the wormers was liquid Wazine. A very tiny dose, with a follow up in 16 days.

It was never clear what she had. At first the thought it might be Mareks (sp) but he told me to just keep an eye on her legs/feet. She did have what looked like symptoms of it just the way she was standing, when she stood. She walked like her legs were weak, and her toes looked crooked.

In the end, I think she might have had chicken pox. While looking up Mareks, I saw an Avian website that said chicken pox could bring on Mareks-like symptoms but after the virus clears so does the faux Mareks symptoms. She also had open mouth breathing. Which finally went away towards the end as she was getting better, that too was a pox symptom.

My daughter takes care of the chickens mostly, but I took care of this one. When she was doing better, I let her out of the house and she practically flew all the way to the pen! It was a wonderful happy sight after being sick for almost two weeks. Then I noticed that all of the chickens had little scabby marks on their comb. So maybe they all had it but she just got sick from the virus. We'll never know really. I thought after that vet visit, she'd lay golden eggs! LOL

The wormer you used os band from use in laying hens. Some use it and still eat said eggs but i dont know the withdraw period. I personally am on the same side as the vet. Thats alot of chemicals at once to give a hen and then eat her eggs. And no the outside of the shell is simple calcium build up. However not sure why the egg would have liquidly egg whites. Kathy and eggsessive would know.

Thank you. Well, what's strange is she is the only one with this chalky shell, that's one way to know it is her egg. But it's not consistently like that, maybe every other egg.

I was very hesitant about using anything, but we had one hen die last January and my daughter was really sad about it. Mommy you should've given her medicine. : ( Thought she might get over what she had, but she died in a few days. She was a 'roaster' chicken and she was always a bit 'off'. I think she had a heart attack. So when this one got sick, I just felt I had to do something.

The vet was hesitant about the wormer because he didn't find any in her poop, but he wondered if maybe gape worms, although he said he did take a look as far as he could and didn't see any. She had bad poop the whole time almost 2 weeks.I think he thought that since we already used Penicillin and Tylan, the wormer would cover all the bases.

Still hope someone knows about the watery egg white, and if this gets better? It strange to think that antibiotics ruins all the future eggs of a chicken.

Hi, I treated one of my Australorps with Penicillin, Tylan powder, and worming liquid (forgot the name) But I was told by the vet my hen would now be a pet chicken not worthy of eggs.

It has been 3 months, and she does lay eggs, not too regular as before, and sometimes I can tell which is hers because there are white chalky dots on it. The Penicillin was chalky white liquid. Are the white dots from that? When I crack her eggs open, still after three months, the egg white is like liquid. There's never that thicker egg white around the yolk. Is it true her eggs should always be thrown out? Will she ever lay a good egg? Is she really "pet only" and not an egg producer? I have another Australorp and when we get her egg, we can't always tell them apart so we throw both out.

Thanks for any advice,
Pipsqueek

the egg white is watery due to viruses. it will get better. btw I don't see why you shouldn't eat her eggs after 3 months. my vet told me not to eat eggs after a baytril treatment for 14 days. when I got the same antibiotic from a non EU country which has no strong bureaucratic system withdrawal time is for meat only (8 days) and eggs can be eaten immediately. in the same country tylan withdrawal time for eggs is 2 days only. each country has it's own rules. that does not make sense. if you sell eggs than don't sell those from the treated birds. the rules are made to be safe in case we sell eggs and meat not for our personal use.

Its mostly because they arent really monitered in poultry so they dont know the effect or how long it last. And by giving a chicken anitbiotics some of the bacteria could have become immune to the anitbitoic and could be passed to humans if that person eats the meat or eggs from the chicken treated.

I don't read through post histories unless it is absolutely necessary to help diagnose a problem. I feel it is an invasion of privacy.

Wazine clearance is 14 days after the last dose, if I recall correctly. I don't use Wazine as a rule because I don't live in an area hospitable to worms. I would tell you to ask Dawg53, but he seems to be MIA.

I also have a bird that should be laying golden eggs- a $1000 goose named Frenchy. Yup, you read that right. Yes, I am an idiot. Yes, I have an awful goose that I willingly spent $1000 to fix after a predator attack. Yes, I am an idiot. She at least had the good grace to lay 18 eggs in the off-season this fall. I can't decide if I love this bird or hate her. She is my personal PITA.

Last edited:
I don't read through post histories unless it is absolutely necessary to help diagnose a problem. I feel it is an invasion of privacy.

Wazine clearance is 14 days after the last dose, if I recall correctly. I don't use Wazine as a rule because I don't live in an area hospitable to worms. I would tell you to ask Dawg53, but he seems to be MIA.

I also have a bird that should be laying golden eggs- a $1000 goose named Frenchy. Yup, you read that right. Yes, I am an idiot. Yes, I have an awful goose that I willingly spent $1000 to fix after a predator attack. Yes, I am an idiot. She at least had the good grace to lay 18 eggs in the off-season this fall. I can't decide if I love this bird or hate her. She is my personal PITA.

you definitively are NOT an idiot. love has no price!

Back
Top Bottom