Eggs and Breed question

pbjmaker

Crowing
11 Years
May 9, 2008
Central Iowa
It suddenly struck me a today that perhaps I could get a better idea of what breeds I might have left in my incubator based on egg size/color (or what isn't there)

I realize that brown eggs are impossible to tell but I might be able to get an idea.

So here are my eggs:

10160_avatar0001_1.jpg

And the breeds she had were:

salmon faverolle
partridge silkie
silver ameracauna X wellsummer and /or red brested brown hens
black pendesencas
brown/red ameracauna roo X blue/blue wheaten/buff hens ( i think these are the olive eggs)
cuckoo marans

Thanks all for your expertise - I know there is a slim chance of IDing most of them until they hatch - but I am really interested to know if there is a chance of any silkie eggs or the salmon faverolles

I would say your olive egg is the Ameraucana x Welsummer (that ONE dark olive one) and maybe that other dark one in the bottom right corner.

The lighter olive ones could be the Ameraucana

But that's about all I can guess... maybe the darkest ones are your Marans

Last edited:
There are two in the middle that are also a khaki/olive color and one of them has speckles that are impossible to make out in this picture...

But thanks guitarist!

BTW I hoped you worked out your whole hardware cloth vs. chicken wire situation:/

LOL...yup
smile.png
I think I should be good this hatch
big_smile.png
fl.gif

Yup... I see them now
wink.png

I believe Welsummers are like Marans in the way that they leave a "coating" on the eggs so that when you cross with a blue egg layer... you get a blue egg with a brown coating... turning it Olive. I could be wrong though on the Welsummers. Hopefully some Welly people will come along
smile.png

I looked at that site too - have it marked as a favorite now.

I too was thinking that for the pendesencas.

My problem is defining brown, light brown, tinted, medium and large. What I think might be faintly blue tinted, someone else might think is just "cream".

Thus I have the eggs all numbered with descriptions in a notebook so that I can record what comes from what egg and then that will help me create better definitions for size and color in my own mental schema
wink.png

I feel like a scientist...

I would say there's a good chance some of your lighter tan eggs could be Silkies or Faverolles..... Some Silkies are larger than others... and some breeders out there are breeding for a standard size instead of bantam...so who knows
wink.png

Guitarists:
Ok - now I know I have a problem - when I did my afternoon turn I sorted them by size and color. (quickly and carefully)
roll.png

10160_avatar0001_5.jpg

must go do housework now....

lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
That's a hoot!!!!!! Ok...... lemme see.......

1) Amer. OR possibly Silkie??? I have heard of blue tinted Silkie eggs.... any idea what color she gets from hers??
2) Amer.
3) Amer.
4) Amer. x Welsummer
5) Pen.
6) ??
7) Fav.
8 & 9) Cuckoo Marans

Those are my UNeducated guesses
wink.png
LOL

Last edited:

Back