Eggs and feeding scraps

girls and guineas

Songster
8 Years
Nov 30, 2011
northern GA
How do you wash your chicken eggs off?? I am concerned about salmonella or ecoli???

Do you heat your egg shells, crush them, and feed them back to your hens???

Can you feed potato peelings, sweet potato peelings, cucumber peelings, etc. to chickens??? I read that it was not good to feed your chickens potato peelings. I was wondering why?? Is it because store boughten potatoes have been treated so they won't sprout easily??

I think some fruits, like apples, and maybe cucumbers have been waxed???

Thanks for your feedback!!!

I generally don't wash my eggs and I keep them on the counter.

I just crush the shells and give it back to them or throw them in the compost.

I give them all my peelings and any bad fruits and vegetables. The chickens eat most but some they do not. As to why people are afraid to feed potato peels to chickens..I believe it is because of the alkaloid compounds thet could possibly be in the potato at high concentrations, especially in potato skin exposed to light and turned green.

Some fruits and vegetables have been waxed. My chickens usually do not care.

How do you wash your chicken eggs off?? I am concerned about salmonella or ecoli???

I dont. I store them in a hanging basket or egg cartons on the counter I tell my customers to wash them off before they eat them

Do you heat your egg shells, crush them, and feed them back to your hens???
Kinda. When I feed scramble eggs I mix in the shells, No extra effort in crushing them. I feed them all eggs from hatches that dont hatch(even with mildly formed chicks) I bust the eggs on a rock and they eat it all up(I dont feed any with blood rings)

Can you feed potato peelings, sweet potato peelings, cucumber peelings, etc. to chickens??? I read that it was not good to feed your chickens potato peelings. I was wondering why?? Is it because store boughten potatoes have been treated so they won't sprout easily??

Some say no. I feed my birds everything. I think they know what to eat and what not to eat. The dont eat the skins nor do they care for anything citrus.

I think some fruits, like apples, and maybe cucumbers have been waxed???

Mine eat paint balls, bug, styrofoam, rocks, seeds, burrs, shiny things, pretty much anything they can fit in their mouths. They will be ok with waxed foods.

i dont wash the eggs, i just use them as they are.

i do heat up the shells and crush them and feed them back.

not had any issues with what we have given them so far, not tried potato peelings tho because of what some people say

if in doubt just try it

I agree with everyone else...I never wash mine, unless they have poop on them, then right before I use them. If you wash them, you remove the bloom the hen puts on it as she lays it, this actually keeps the egg fresh and PREVENTS bacteria from entering the egg, once removed, the egg starts to age.

I keep a bowl on my stove, once I use an egg I toss the shells in it, when it is full, I crush them in a ziplock gallon bag, and when that is full, I take it to the coop and put it in the separate feeder on the wall with the oyster shell I serve.

I don't feed the potato peels either...green peels contain Solanine, which is toxic to chickens.

Quote:
Same here. If poopy, I'll use a little soap & hot water. I pulverize dried shells with coffee grinder and give it back w/their daily treats. My hens eat everything.

Quote:
Not if there are no cracks in the shell. The primary difference is that they last longer in the fridge. A few weeks on the counter, a few months in the fridge.

You may want to be cautious if your eggs are fertile, and your kitchen is hot, especially in the summer.
big_smile.png

If you do not wash; you need to be aware of cross contamination, hand washing etc.

Imp

Back
Top Bottom