Eggs and Heat

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by grandads, Jun 2, 2010.

1. grandads

grandads Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2008
    Like a dumb dumb yesterday I forgot about the eggs I had in my car. It was nintytwo degrees yesterday so they got pretty warm. Are they still good to eat?

2. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    [​IMG] How long were they in there? If it was all day, and If they were refridgerated before hand, then I would throw them out. I wouldn't risk it at all, not with my family. A dozen eggs or even a few dozen isn't worth the risk.

But you also gotta think about if they weren't refridgerated and it was only a couple hours, it could be just like an egg sitting in a nest box on a 95 degree day waiting to be collected....I guess it would depend on whether or not they were refridgerated.

3. grandads

Nov 1, 2008
    No hadn't been refridgerated yet but they were in there all day with the windows up.

4. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    I would toss them out!

5. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Refrigerate. Use first. Cook well.

You'll have lost a lot of quality (thin, runny whites and yolks likely) but if you eat them soon they'll still be OK. Use them soon. Cook them well.

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    How hot was it? Cars with windows up can be 30 or more degrees higher than the outside temp.

7. grandads

Nov 1, 2008
    ok ninteen dozen eggs chucked over the fence!! Darn it.

8. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I'd've thrown them out, too. I'm usually so overrun with eggs that I don't miss a days worth.

9. homesteadingcowgirl

homesteadingcowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    Nineteen dozen???????? Wowza!

If it were me and I was unsure, I would boil them and give them to my birds!!!

( I do think that they would have been fine anyway, but would have used them quick)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by