Eggs and Salmonella

UrbanFlock

In the Brooder
Jan 5, 2016
Denver
We are new to raising chickens. So far so very good. We had 1-day old chicks mail ordered in July and August, a total of 8. Our first just started laying eggs (Jan 2, 3, 4 and 5). We are pretty excited! I've read that you don't need to (and shouldn't) refrigerate fresh eggs, so I have them sitting on my counter as I anxiously wait to get a few more to indulge in the joy of eating them!
Then I got to thinking....what about salmonella? How do eggs get salmonella anyway? So I read up. It doesn't seem all that common, but there is also no way to tell. If an egg with a very small amount of salmonella (not harmful to injest) sits on the counter for even a few hours, then the salmonella can multiply to a harmful amount.

Has anyone had an issue with this? Who refrigerates and who does not? Is it just a matter of cooking them long enough? But more importantly, no more taking the risk of eating cookie dough?... really?? :(

I have always read it's bad to leave them out on the counter, but many do it, personally I think it's a bad idea, and eggs last longer in the fridge. Always cook your eggs well, wash your hands after handling birds and don't kiss chickens, and enjoy.

Keeping eggs refrigerated is a personal opinion. We keep ours on the top shelf in our pantry.

If you plan on refrigerated eggs, rinse dry crate and fridge.

If you shelf your eggs, DO NOT WASH. When they are laid they have a very thin membrane that protects everything inside from everything outside. We currently have 12 dozen on the shelf, we eat 8-10 eggs a day so it takes a while to go through them. Still no bad ones.

Thanks for that information about not washing them. We haven't but I did not know about the protective membrane. Helpful info. I still need more votes. I have one for and one against! LOL!!

I don't think you will get one right answer, you will have to decide how you want to do it, I always wash my eggs under hot water, only scrubbing any poop spots, than I refrigerate. If I don't scrub the bloom remains mostly intact. Good luck choosing what's best for you.

we do not refrigerate eggs here. I have never confronted any medical problem.But we neither leave the eggs for many days.Indian spices and mustard oil are fatal for microorganisms. Nonetheless I think refrigeration may be better option for you.

Backyard flocks don't generally have the same concerns with salmonella that a big factory farm has. Backyard flocks aren't usually kept in such crowded conditions and keeping a coop for a small flock clean is fairly simple. Our birds aren't forced to live in cramped, filthy conditions, so disease isn't running rampant.
Even running the eggs under water will remove the bloom. Bloom is a natural, antibacterial coating that is applied just before the egg is laid. It seals that egg and keeps all the bad germs out. No washing is needed. Eggs will stay fresh at room temp for a few weeks. Eggs that are stored in the fridge will last for at least 3 months.

Back
Top Bottom