Eggs! (and switching to layer feed)

grullablue

Songster
11 Years
Feb 27, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
We have 9 white leghorn hens, 17 weeks old. They were hatched in my son's kindergarten classroom. Last night I was just looking through posts wondering when to switch them to layer feed....I hear it is pelletted, and they are starting to make a HUGE mess and wasting their grower feed. I read posts saying "20 weeks or when you start getting eggs" and I sighed...thinking....three more weeks...ugh. Well! My girls made me happy! The coop is still a work in progress, we have a goal to get them IN it this weekend. For now they are in a horse stall in my barn. But....I went out to do chores tonight, and I was surprised to find...not one, but TWO eggs on the floor in their 8' by 8' pen!! A little egg, and a big egg, about the size I'd buy in the store! I was shocked! And proud at the same time!

So...I was debating if I should post this here...or in the feeding category....but......not only did I want to brag (because I knew people here would understand! I called some friends to excitedly tell them about the eggs...they thought I was nuts!) but as far as switching them to layer pellets, should I do it gradually, mix it in with their grower crumbles, or do some people just switch them right over? I needed to get more feed....but I have enough grower feed for probably about a week. Do they tend to take to the pellets quickly?

I'm so proud! (again, I know I'm preaching to the choir here....glad to have people who understand the excitement!!)

Angie

I switched my bantams over to pellets because I was tired of the waste. There was no transition period because I was out of feed and they had no problems at all.

Are you feeding medicated feed? I remember reading that you should wait 30 days (I think) before eating the eggs. If not medicated, then no problem.

I know what you mean about people thinking you're nuts for being excited about the eggs...my family thinks I'm insane but I LOVE MY CHICKENS!!! You're in with the right group
yippiechickie.gif
Congrats on your eggs!!!!

You don't need to wait to eat the eggs. Go ahead and switch them to layer. If you have some of the other left you can mix it, if you want, and that will use the old up too.

Congratulations!
Ribbonedegg0001.jpg

Back
Top Bottom