Eggs are peeping and still waiting for pipping! What do I do?

atalanta

Songster
8 Years
Jan 17, 2013
Hi, both eggs are chirping. They have been chirping for most of the day and are moving around here and there. I'm still waiting for pip. What do I do? Serama eggs. They are on the 21st day. Humidity has been about 65%, temp 99.5F. Afraid chicks might not be strong enough to break out.

Two weeks ago it took two hours from chirping to hatch. This time chirping started earlier today and still waiting for pip.
Thanks

Last edited:
I reiterate, sit on your hands.

If they aren't strong enough to get out, there is a reason for that and helping them hatch isn't the answer. The problem could be breeder nutrition, breeder age/genetics, egg collection and storage and all the parameters of incubation from turning to temperature to humidity to oxygen. There is nothing you can do now to compensate for any of the things I just mentioned. That is water under the bridge.

I reiterate, sit on your hands.

If they aren't strong enough to get out, there is a reason for that and helping them hatch isn't the answer. The problem could be breeder nutrition, breeder age/genetics, egg collection and storage and all the parameters of incubation from turning to temperature to humidity to oxygen. There is nothing you can do now to compensate for any of the things I just mentioned. That is water under the bridge.
My Serama eggs were shipped from back east.
Thank you! I found this article...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/Saved my chicks.

Last edited:
If your temp was low it could take a extra day . mine peep a day before they hatch. also most people count the day wrong when you set them its day 0 for that day. Also shipped eggs are tricky and should be upright when they hatch not on the side.(air cell) Sounds like you should be patient they should pip tonight. hope this helps

IMG-2392.JPG

Tiny Serama chicks about the size of large finches. Both chicks were peeping last night. The standing chick was peeping much more. Both were too weak to get out of their eggs. Assisted with poking hole in the air-cell side of shell around 3am. Gradually peeled small pieces of shell and membrane away a few hours later when I saw they were not moving very much and membrane was mostly dry. Standing chick was out around noon today...took 8 hrs to recover. Now its pretty hyper with bouts of "oh tired". The second chick has been out since around 5pm, is still drying off, has scooted a couple of laps around the incubator and then resting. Temp is 98.5, humidity 39%. Gave both chicks a few drops of Nutra-drench. Thank you for all your suggestions and attentiveness.
Is the one in the picture hyper because he's hungry? The second one is still not caught up to the standing one. Should I just shut the light off and feed them together tomorrow?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom