Eggs are supposed to lock down... the day a hurricane rolls in

I had a power outage when my eggs were on day 17 and they got down to 55° because I had a fan going in there (that’s another story) and I had half a bit over half still hatch. There was no power for 6 hours before I could move it to another place to plug in. I’m gonna guess your chicks will be fine if you wrap them in a blanket (but leave some room for air) and place some hand warmers in there!

can you... borrow a broody instead? a hurricane was supposed to come near where i lived, and we were all bracing for power outages. Thank goodness the storm veered away. I had a broody at the same time my eggs were incubating, and i figured I’d just put them under her...
Unfortunately, no. I'm just going to swaddle it in blankets and stick in a heat pack if I need to.

Y'all think the eggs in my incubator will be ok if I wrap a Mylar blanket (you know, the silver emergency kind) around the incubator then a thick weighted blanket around that? I'm leaving the motor area open for oxygen
Sounds reasonable to me. The real question will be if the temperature stays in the right range, and you'll only know that by trying it.

Oh, that's frustrating :( I hope you've got the incubator on a surge suppressor if it's plugged in-- you don't want it getting fried by a power surge!
I do, but I ended up unplugging it so I could put all the layers of insulation on w/o fear of overheating.

3 heavy polyester sweatshirts, 3 blankets, 1 mylar blanket
20210829_192658.jpg

Back
Top Bottom