Eggs at ten wk old is this a good Idea?

n2thestorm5032

Songster
11 Years
Feb 23, 2008
Sparta (Spartucky), Michigan
I put 2 Hard boiled eggs in the chicken nesting boxes and well at first I put them on the ground, the chicks investigated (chickens are 10wks and 7wks) by tapping it and then one laid down so i sorta lifted her up to sit on it, and she did! i did this because I want them to hatch their own eggs, when it comes time! so then I put the two eggs in the nesting box, so they get the idea on where to lay them when they start laying eggs!

So my question is, is this a good idea or bad idea on putting 2 fake eggs in the chicken nesting boxes?!?!?!?!?

My mother in law always uses fake eggs in her nesting boxes. It seems to work for her. My hens are 20 weeks and I still haven't seen an egg!! Yours are still very young. Good luck!!

I imagine it will show them where to lay (I use a golf ball), but I don't think it will make them broody. I don't think you can do anything to make a chicken broody, just happens naturally.

it seems awfully early to be trying to train your babies to lay in the nest boxes and you simply can't train them to set. they either will or won't, depending on their inherent broodiness.

i'm also concerned that you're putting hard boiled eggs in there. if you must do this experiment, please use plastic or ceramic eggs or golf balls. it seems like you're more likely to be training them to eat eggs than set on them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom