Eggs at ten wk old is this a good Idea?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by n2thestorm5032, Aug 27, 2008.

1. n2thestorm5032

n2thestorm5032 Chillin' With My Peeps

I put 2 Hard boiled eggs in the chicken nesting boxes and well at first I put them on the ground, the chicks investigated (chickens are 10wks and 7wks) by tapping it and then one laid down so i sorta lifted her up to sit on it, and she did! i did this because I want them to hatch their own eggs, when it comes time! so then I put the two eggs in the nesting box, so they get the idea on where to lay them when they start laying eggs!

So my question is, is this a good idea or bad idea on putting 2 fake eggs in the chicken nesting boxes?!?!?!?!?

2. chickenchickenbulkbulk

chickenchickenbulkbulk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    My mother in law always uses fake eggs in her nesting boxes. It seems to work for her. My hens are 20 weeks and I still haven't seen an egg!! Yours are still very young. Good luck!!

3. greggy

greggy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Reed City, Michigan
    A guy at work gave me a few golf balls to put in the nest...hens are 17 weeks and it doesn't look like they are interested at all.

4. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I imagine it will show them where to lay (I use a golf ball), but I don't think it will make them broody. I don't think you can do anything to make a chicken broody, just happens naturally.

5. ravenfeathers

ravenfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    vermont
    it seems awfully early to be trying to train your babies to lay in the nest boxes and you simply can't train them to set. they either will or won't, depending on their inherent broodiness.

i'm also concerned that you're putting hard boiled eggs in there. if you must do this experiment, please use plastic or ceramic eggs or golf balls. it seems like you're more likely to be training them to eat eggs than set on them.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by