Eggs by the Dozen... I wish!?

ldel4567

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 13, 2012
I would like some coaching on how to get my chickens to be better egg layers. What is the common thinking on this? I had Road Island Red's in the past, and in the early years were laying pretty well. About two years ago, I introduced the flock to -my now rooster, who I think, traumatized those hens to the point that they stopped laying, There may have been other factors( i.e. mouse/mice in the coop ) that contributed to there declining egg production.

Currently, I have 5wk old chicks(Speckled Sussex), and have read,they are also good layers. I still have the rooster,and have been trying to acclimate the babies with the rooster so there won't be any Shock and Awe- pardon the pun:)

Any help that anyone can offer would be appreciated. Thank you!

I doubt the rooster scared them into non-laying status. Don't forget the checkens mult about every 14 monthes or so (I'm not positive on the number - I keep mixed flocks and sombody molts all the time) and during molting they don't lay. Also, a hens most productive laying years are through age 2, then they las fewer but bigger eggs through age 3, then usually major egg drop off and a stew hen.

I keep a small (15 watt) light on at night fall, winter, and spring to promote laying. I also be sure to feed hen layer mix, add calcium if needed, and be sure to keep hens in until mid afternoon, so they lay where I can find the eggs. The afternoons out really keep them very happy though.

I've always kept leghorns, australrops, barred rock, RI reds, and other top egg producers for 5 eggs/week out of a hen. If you want lots of eggs through age 4-6 however, your gonna have to get Khaki Kampbell ducks, I'm afraid. They outlay my best hens, often laying 300-330 eggs/year, short molts, and very very long egg laying life. Just saying, I finally went with the ducks for hardiness and egg quantity.

I had Road Island Red's in the past, and in the early years were laying pretty well.

Exactly how old are your Reds now? All chickens gradually lay fewer eggs as they age and are more likely to take long breaks before starting again. If your birds are more than three years old it is definitely time to think about getting new ones. It's July so day length isn't a problem. If you are feeding good layer feed then you are good that way. Mostly it's just that they are old.

Some times the heat or cold can affect the birds laying. I keep 7½ watt lights on 24/7/365 in my coops. When others say their birds have slowed down or quit laying mine are usually going pretty strong. My coops are very well ventilated and we provide good shade for when it gets hot. I also have sprinklers in the yards for the birds too.
I have RIR, BO, RIW (both Rose Comb and Single Comb, Isa Browns and RSL.

Last edited:
Thanks, for all your suggestions! My last RIR passed away in April. The light in the coop, for the new hens,is probably the next thing to try.

Back
Top Bottom