eggs cold /hen off nest help!!

chicken delighted

Songster
8 Years
Mar 26, 2011
mesick,michigan
my hen has been off the nest since 8am this moring and has not got back on i checked eggs and they were cold so i brought in what i thought might be ok after i candled then. and put them in the bator when i was inspecting eggs i found a stinky one
sickbyc.gif
. could that be the reson she got off?
no sounds are comeing from the eggs they are due to hatch monday, could they have gotton so cold they gone?
fl.gif
i am hopeing not!!
has this ever happen to any one?

Has she tried to get back on them? You can candle them and see if there's anything in them. Good luck Michele

i was afraid to leave her with them so i brought them in and set them in the incubator. i left a few egg that had no sings of development in them. so in case they do hatch i can slip the chicks under her and take the blanks. i sure hope they make it.
fl.gif
little eggs felt so cold.

Hi please can you put me out of my misery
sad.png
I think I may have killed some babies
sad.png
The mother got off the next and the eggs were stone cold and everywhere I had read on internet (usually sites selling incubators) stressed the importance of the eggs saying warm else the chicks die) but I read on this thread that they are hardy and I am stressing they may not have been dead after all and could have been rescued by another clucky mum.
Please can you advise if the eggs can get cold and for how long before it is not advisable to put under another clucky hen thanks
smile.png

Also, do you advise moving the mum and the warm eggs after 2.5 weeks of keeping them warm in the same nesting box to a new coup with nesting box so we can keep the chicks separate from the flock when they hatch? Or is there some other suggestion? Thanks SO much - from a really happy excited new mum with 4.5 (one cant make up her mind) clucky hens
smile.png
Have a nice day, Louise

Quote:
Thanks. How do I then keep the chicks safe if they are in the main hutch with many other hens and couple of roosters? Will the other hens and roosters attack the chicks? Do the chicks hatch any time of the day or night or just anytime of the day? As you can see a straight novice
smile.png
Any pages here or other sites that might have the info I need? Thanks for your help.

Quote:
Thanks. How do I then keep the chicks safe if they are in the main hutch with many other hens and couple of roosters? Will the other hens and roosters attack the chicks? Do the chicks hatch any time of the day or night or just anytime of the day? As you can see a straight novice
smile.png
Any pages here or other sites that might have the info I need? Thanks for your help.

hi louise
your chicks you had could have possiably been ok i candle this evening and saw movement. now as if they will hatch that for the good lord to decide, but i have done my part they are in a warm incubator , so we'll see what will happen , BUT please dont feel bad
hugs.gif
i threw some out i should have given more time after reading more on hatching, this is a learning experiance and this is why we have this site to help each other. and boy some day i need HELP!
lau.gif
as for your hen i have moved my broody hens always at night , do not use lots of lights this is some thing you must do in the dark as much as possiable. set things up then move her you can slide a peice of cardboard under her and the eggs and move slowly to your new location.
you should somehow seperate her from the flock, i find that the hens are mean to the young chicks more then the roos, plus you dont want to get mom all stressed out as she trys to proctet her chicks so move her if you can you will find it a wonderful thing to watch the chicks and hen interact
chicks will hatch any time of the day some times a day early or 2 days later. like all babies when they are ready
jumpy.gif

good luck
leslie

Thank you so much for your help and information
smile.png

Has anyone ever had a hen dead outside a nesting box with a broody hen in it? I have had two in the last week. The first dead chook was just outside the nesting box with its head tucked around to the side, I thought maybe she had tried to get in the nest with the broody hen. Then today I found another one! She had been unwell and I had popped her in an empty nesting box to stay warmer during the frosty night but found her the next morning squashed in the front entrance of another nesting box with a broody hen and she also had her head turned around but this time towards the hen. Her eyes were sunken in but couldnt find any wounds on her.
Do they just die for whatever reason and in that position? Or is this a very territorial broody hen who has defended her eggs?
The other chooks are all well and healthy and happy. (Weird, a dead chook doesnt seem to worry them?)
Thanks for helping, Louise

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom