Eggs cooled twice in one day (laid that day) will they be okay?

Tatuana

Songster
Dec 30, 2018
Utah
I got some fresh eggs in an unexpected twist of fate. I brought them home, but was very sick and had to lay down. I didn't wake up for a few hours. By then the eggs were pretty cool. I tucked them in a blanket with a heat pack to keep them warm while I found my incubator. My cat pulled the blanket off sometime, and I couldn't find my incubator. So they cooled again. I wrapped them in a thick blanket overnight. My new incubator is arriving this afternoon.

Since they cooled twice I'm really worried about them. They should be fresh within a day or so. They're Serama eggs, which the lady said 'could be tricky'. I don't know if she meant bird or eggs, but now I'm worried to death.

Will they be okay? I can get them back in an incubator tonight after I test the new one and such. I really, really want these babies to hatch!

Did you receive partially incubated eggs or just fresh fertile eggs?

I'm not understanding the heat pack/blanket issue.

Why not just hold the eggs at room temperature until the incubator arrives?

They were fresh eggs I believe. Maybe a day or two old.

I was loopy with cold medicine and thought it would be smart to warm them up a bit. I regret that now, and know better. I'm not sure what my brain was thinking at the time.

They were fresh eggs I believe. Maybe a day or two old.

I was loopy with cold medicine and thought it would be smart to warm them up a bit. I regret that now, and know better. I'm not sure what my brain was thinking at the time.
I wouldn't worry too much about that heating up.
Hopefully it wasn't warm enough to start the process.

How warm do you think you got them and how long were they at the warm temp?
Do you think your hot pack got them all the way up to 99 degrees or above? I think that is the magic incubating temp...

How warm do you think you got them and how long were they at the warm temp?
Do you think your hot pack got them all the way up to 99 degrees or above? I think that is the magic incubating temp...

I don't think I got them that warm, no. I just tucked them into the incubator. Fingers crossed! It's day 3 I should be able to see some signs, right?

I don't think I got them that warm, no. I just tucked them into the incubator. Fingers crossed! It's day 3 I should be able to see some signs, right?
Have you incubated before?

I thought the incubator just arrived today so how could it be day three already.
If you just out them in the bator today...today is day zero.

The less you mess with them the better.
Candle on Sunday.

Have you incubated before?

I thought the incubator just arrived today so how could it be day three already.
If you just out them in the bator today...today is day zero.

The less you mess with them the better.
Candle on Sunday.

I've done three batches before, yes. I meant that I've had them three days, sorry. I meant ON day 3 I should see some signs. They've been laid in the last three days. I got them yesterday morning.

They're all tucked in the incubator with an auto turner, and I have a way to put in water without touching them. If they didn't 'activate' the first day with the heating pack I'm hoping things will be okay.

Back
Top Bottom