Eggs delayed for two weeks

Nice. I bought from her 1 time, used a borrowed incubator. The lady I borrowed from said it was running a few degrees hot, I turned down the temp just a bit, and I think she was wrong and her incubator was running normal and wrecked most of that hatch. I am using a diff incubator now.

That looks a week to me. The veins aren't that thick, and I bet if you were looking all the way around, you would find the veins were only maybe half or two thirds around.

The reason it looks further along is the air cell. Since the eggs were so long shipping, they've lost more moisture than most eggs have by the first week of incubation.

I would raise your humidity some to compensate, but they won't hatch early.

Look for the veining to cover the entire egg around day ten. Day 14-16 are very good ones for seeing feet but you can catch them sooner sometimes.

Two different eggs but the only two that look like this.
3506E140-2B4B-452B-B551-180BD2AAF8EC.jpeg
0CB9F8AF-2617-4BB1-8A8B-763C8258782D.jpeg
5AEF6587-0D5C-4E01-A7B9-B493133375C9.jpeg
802B24B7-A525-4986-A758-65EB8DC0FCBC.jpeg
88F3F64F-7A24-4A2E-80D1-A725D4118B6A.jpeg
16969FE1-6048-4CBA-99B6-65717F57EAA9.jpeg
DC928A4E-81AE-413C-A8FD-53941ED10C33.jpeg

Attachments

• 0B2CAD87-9DD4-4892-8FDA-0013C1DB65A5.jpeg
    0B2CAD87-9DD4-4892-8FDA-0013C1DB65A5.jpeg
    319.9 KB · Views: 1
Nah, those aren't full dark, they're 'pictures taken in ambient light' dark. In a dark room they'd look different.
Eggs don't really get so full you can't see through them until quite late in incubation.
I've done the candle every day thing through multiple hatches, some of which is documented here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/bunch-of-candling-development-pics.1386101/

Look at the thickness of the veins, are they thick enough that you can see the light and shadow on the veins themselves? are they into the pointy end of the egg? Look at the embryo-- is it a wiggling bean with the eye easy to make out or is the embryo kind of hidden inside the egg so that what you can see is more movement than anything else?

Nah, those aren't full dark, they're 'pictures taken in ambient light' dark. In a dark room they'd look different.
Eggs don't really get so full you can't see through them until quite late in incubation.
I've done the candle every day thing through multiple hatches, some of which is documented here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/bunch-of-candling-development-pics.1386101/

Look at the thickness of the veins, are they thick enough that you can see the light and shadow on the veins themselves? are they into the pointy end of the egg? Look at the embryo-- is it a wiggling bean with the eye easy to make out or is the embryo kind of hidden inside the egg so that what you can see is more movement than anything else?
I took the pictures in a room where I brood my chicks. Sure it wasn’t totally dark because the chicks like to have a night light. But even in your pictures of the day 7 egg you can see only a small speck. More of the egg is taken up in my pictures. Ambient light or not. Tonight when it is totally dark I will make it totally dark and get better pictures. But the eggs are not see through like your day 7 pictures.
But if you say the veining is day 7 then how come the chick takes up so much space?

If I had no other information I would gauge these as day 9-10 eggs. That's just based on veining since I don't see the embryo itself in the pictures. I'm not sure when you took the pictures but that's right on track or possibly 1, maybe 2, days ahead. This could easy be caused by an incubator running a degree too high. Or maybe, like you'd thought, they started en route but not a full weeks worth of incubation. No way. I would double check your incubator with a calibrated thermometer and decide after that.

Back
Top Bottom