eggs dying at 20+days

Quote:
That's pretty much exactly what I was going to say - I have really good luck with very low humidity (around 30-45% during incubation, and then bumped up to around 75% at hatch time) for duck eggs.
smile.png

I pack my duck eggs tightly into my Octagon 20 incubators - I can fit between 22 and 25 Indian Runner eggs in each, and they're pretty much vertical, with no tilt to them when I shove that many in there. I do not have lots of late deaths like the original poster is experiencing (well, the one time I did, it was because they started hatching four days too early before I bumped the humidity up and they shrink-wrapped a day or two before I even realized they'd pipped). The way a broody duck kicks and shoves her eggs around to turn them when things are done "naturally", I'm sure some of them occasionally end up vertical or even upside down for awhile, smooshed into the nest, and I don't think it really matters how the eggs are turned (unless you're incubating something finicky *Calls...coughs*
wink.png
)

My money's on a humidity problem. Whenever I sell fertile eggs locally, I tell the buyer that it's a myth that duck eggs need a higher humidity than chicken eggs do, and that it's completely counteractive to incubate them at a high humidity and mist them; they can be incubated at the same (sometimes lower) humidity level as chicken eggs - and all the people I've sold eggs to locally have had great hatches!
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Not questioning your expertise Scott--I suspect it's much greater than mine. I incubate in a Hova-bator with the standard auto-turner. I just started using an LG for a hatcher, but don't have any data on its success right now.

I'm absolutely in agreement that the OP should probably try some different things, and horizontal placement may very well be the ticket. The only thing I was quibbling with was the use of the word "must" for describing horizontal turning. And it really is just quibbling--I'm quite happy to drop the whole thing, lol. I never was much of one for arguing.
smile.png

Thanks everyone
I had not been here for the last couple days so could not reply. I did have all the water trays filled thinking that they need higher hum. I will try to keep hum. lower My friend just called me and said to get up here and get more eggs as he put some chicken eggs under a duck and they hatched today and she will leave the nest soon. This one nest is 10 feet up on haybales and is the only place that is half safe for them to lay. Thanks again Mike

Can you answer these questions?

- What make and model incubator are you using?

- What is you average temp and humidity during hatch?

- How do you clean your incubator between hatches?

- Where did the eggs come from?

- Did you clean them before setting?

Back
Top Bottom