EGGS EGGS EGGS!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by TommyVT05, Feb 21, 2008.

1. TommyVT05

TommyVT05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2008
    Southern California
    Quick Q:

Can or will a hen hatch every batch that she lays?

Like...if she lays like 10 batches (Approx. 100 eggs) in a year, will she be able to sit on every batch?

I'm hopeing they do because I want constant baby chicks without using the Incubator.

Hehe [​IMG]

- Tommy

2. elliemb

elliemb Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2007
    Are you thinking of taking the chicks away from the hen after she has hatched out the eggs she is sitting on? A hen does not start to lay eggs right away again, it takes a while. Then when she starts laying she may not go broody right away. Try letting her keep them and raise them! There is nothing cuter than a mama with her babies following her around the yard! So sweet![​IMG]

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Quote:I would hope that she wouldn't hatch every batch she lays, as brooding and hatching chciks is very hard on a hen. They reduce feed consumption and don't get proper exercise when they are brooding, so I wouldn't recommend encouraging a hen to sit one hatch after another. Many won't, but some would be up for the challenge. As stated, they also will stop laying eggs while they brood and will not lay for several weeks after the chicks hatch as well, so encouraging brooding will yield you less eggs in the year.

Jody

4. TommyVT05

Feb 6, 2008
    Southern California
    Hey,

Thanks for the replies. Well, I am not planning to "work" the hen to the max but then, I really need chicks from her...good chicks because of my "breeding project". Is she can just do just about 5 batches a year having 10 per...50 chicks is enough per year to choose out my project birds...

But im afraid she can't do 50 chicks a year. Lol. Is that asking a lot by the way?

I think in the "8 months" laying season...given thats a month plus per batch yeah? to raise them and rest and stuff...???

- Tommy

5. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Quote:I think 5 times a year is too much. You figure, she raises them for over a month, and it takes a while for her to start laying again. Also, like stated, it takes a lot out of her, so she really only needs to raise a couple clutches a year. Your best bet would to get a bator, unless you want to work your hen to death.

6. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    Is there any reason you don't buy a few more chicks to help with the demand?

We have to take care of our chickens or they will not take care of us. You are asking too much from a little animal.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  7. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    You could spend $40 for an incubator and hatch all the eggs you want

8. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Also,

With a bator, you can get even more chicks from that hen. When she goes broody, she stops laying. If you set the eggs yourself, she's continue to lay and produce more eggs for you.

9. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    For the health of your hens, I would not want them setting on eggs all the time! Maybe 3 batches a year or so but, you have to think that she will be confined for the most part for 21 days at a time. Would you be in good health after setting for 21 days for say 10 times a year? I wouldn't.....! I would just be concerned for the hens health.

10. TommyVT05

Feb 6, 2008
    Southern California
    Got it! So thats a NO-DEAL!!! [​IMG]

Right...didn't really think of that. I want my chickens to have fun. So yeah, 2 or 3 batch a year sounds nice. I will certainly get a bator then. Thanks for all the inputs. Just to clarify something, I dun intend to have the hen do all that by the way, its just a bator requires a lot of time and...well...I asked the question on the "Incubating and Chicks" section of this forum.

- Ultimate goal for me is get a lot of good chicks to choose from for the breeding project while letting them have fun too you know...so yeah. Still trying to work things out here.

Thanks!

- Tommy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by