Eggs, Eggs. Eggs!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by yelim, Jan 22, 2011.

1. yelim

yelim Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Plant City, Florida
    I have 21 laying hens and am getting 17 to 19 eggs a day. I have a sign in my front yard and an ad on craigs list.
    Still no sales. Didn't think they would be this hard to sell. The homeless coalition wouldn't even take them for free.
    Metropolitan Ministries didn't even return my email offering eggs. I have 17-18 dz in my frige now not counting todays.
    What to do?

2. greenriver

greenriver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Wilmington, Il
    Boil the extras, smash them and feed them back to your chickens.

Find a farmers market near by and try setting up there. Most are open just during the spring/summer but you might get some repeat customers that way.

3. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Bake some quiches! Then freeze them for later. Each uses up at least a dozen!

4. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Contact your local "shelters" and soup kitchens. The Coalition may not have the staff to search out the actual recipients and would have liability issue concerns for the agency. I run a live-in transitional housing program and volunteers drop off their extra eggs which our clients just love. Talk to the Director, and if they seem hesitant you might invite him or her to come by and see how your girls live.

People raised on store bought might be squeemish and not have the knowledge base to understand how much better our girls have it than factory hens. I went through a bit of that myself when we got our first batch of beauties.

In your area you might have a youth shelter for abused children, homeless shelter for families, soup kitchens, etc. Most of the client base at these agencies have poor nutritional status and could use the extra protein.

When we have hard boiled eggs at the soup kitchen I volunteer at, they are a favorite snack and go faster than hot cakes on a cold morning.

5. DLS

DLS Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, smash them up SHELL AND ALL They all love them & get protien & calcium from them . I have extra eggs every so often & offered to give them to the local food shelter . they give food to people who have none. It is less than 2 miles from my hen house., They said that if i bring them in they would take them. BUT they came to getr food from NO ONE! . I boil & feed back to the hens.

6. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I have a sign in front says Farm Fresh Eggs. It took some time but I could use 18 dozen eggs. I now have regular customers .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by