Eggs for vegans?

Before you try to go full on vegan understand that the paper money in your pocket has animal products on it. If this bothers you, send all the offending currency to me. ;-)

All kidding aside the process to make U.S. paper money uses a sizing made from animal products. (sizing helps the ink to stick to the "paper")

Quote:
IMO, yes. Removing waste product from a cow pasture for use in a garden does not interfere with the cow's life cycle as they have no vital use for it......

That said, there are Vegans who believe we should allow all domesticated animals to be free in the wild to live their lives as they choose - which would mean you leave the manure where it is so it would help new forage crops to grow.

Quote:
Don't forget no leather shoes, coats or gloves; any product tested on animals (including some medicines).

I think it's good that we live in a world where you can make the choice to go Vegan. The downside is all of the manufacturing processes required to make it possible (especially the synthetics for the clothing). I'm not sure I could get through a winter wearing only cotton or linen or turn down a life-saving medicine because it was tested on animals....but I'm sure there are people who can and do.

What an interesting question! I would think that a vegan could NOT eat veggies from a garden fertilized with manure, since manure is only available because of the raising of livestock. Unless someone is out scooping up deer poop that is. If being vegan follows the philosophy that meat is murder and milk is slavery, then so would be manure!

Simple enough though to make your own compost for your garden.

I'm like AngieChick. I've been vegetarian for 17 years too, and while I have no issue with people chosing to eat meat of ethically raised and slaughtered animals, since I could not do it myself I will not be a scavenger allowing someone else to kill an animal for me. Worrying about titles is useless. For a while I ate no meat at all, then allowed some shellfish into my diet. Choices should relfect what a person is ethically comfortable with.

To answer Texan's questions my protein comes from macaroni and cheese, lentils, chick peas (hummus!), eggs, shrimp, milk, eggs, tofu, soy-based meat replacements (Yves veggie cuisine, ground beef, hotdogs, salami...) The "fake" meats out there now make it so a vegetarian doesn't suffer
smile.png
I've even made beef stew from "steak style strips" made of soy protein. Comes out awesome.

Nugget, chili come out great with mashed up (cooked) Morning Star (vegetarian) breakfast sausages. Just tried it myself last week.....

Thanks for the tip Meriruka, I'll keep an eye out for them and give it a try. Tofurkey brand makes nice sausages too, though I never thought to put one in chili

Quote:
Ha, you would think I would have known that being here on a chicken forum. If someone would have told me a year ago that I would have friends on a chicken forum I would have laughed out loud.

By the way, I am BBQing a nice rack of pork spare ribs right now. Ummmmmm. Sorry, couldnt help myself. I do competition BBQ and practice frequently. I win a rib trophy almost every time I compete.

Could you imagine, soy ribs :eek:

The upside for you is your probably gonna live longer than me. BBQ ribs with a pineapple habanero honey glaze cant be good for you.
roll.png

Quote:
IMO, yes. Removing waste product from a cow pasture for use in a garden does not interfere with the cow's life cycle as they have no vital use for it......

That said, there are Vegans who believe we should allow all domesticated animals to be free in the wild to live their lives as they choose - which would mean you leave the manure where it is so it would help new forage crops to grow.

o.k. ,, before i ask too many questions,,, im niether "for" or "against" how anyone eats!!! hehe thought i'd get that outta the way first.............
o.k. ,, so using the definition of using manure,,, then infertile eggs fit the same "group"( no use to the animal),, its o.k. , fer the "half vegans" but not o.k. for the "100% vegans"
so how many vegans "true 100%" are there around?,, there cant be many, i mean using NO animal products is almost impossible,,,
i think im jus gonna be 1% vegan, and eat some veggies,,,, and alot of "animal" products hehee
wink.png

Manure & infertile eggs ...not the same (especially edibility)
wink.png

Chickens lay eggs for the purpose of reproduction, so swiping them for human purposes, fertile or not is a no-no.
I think the view is that keeping chickens in captivity for the purpose of taking their eggs is considered something like "slavery" for the animal.
But you're right in the sense that there are degrees of Veganism, just as in everything else.

I went to a Vegan convention in Philly to check it out. Some of the food they gave as samples was pretty tasty and some was flat out awful. All the Vegans were thin and looked healthy, but one or two looked like they were at death's door. However, I was told by a few of my Vegan friends that those who were TOO thin probably weren't eating correctly, (you have to learn to combine your foods for optimal nutrition) but after that it's not that hard.

Quote:
The upside for you is your probably gonna live longer than me. BBQ ribs with a pineapple habanero honey glaze cant be good for you.
roll.png

Haha! Well maybe that would be true if french fries, ice cream and chips weren't vegetarian as well
smile.png
It only sounds as if I eat that well lol

Back
Top Bottom