Eggs for vegans?

ncCHICKS

Songster
11 Years
Oct 5, 2008
Hope Mills, NC
Me and my friends have been vegetarians for a month. Now we are trying vegan. I was wondering since a lot don't eat eggs b/c of how chickens are kept, raised and hatched could I still eat my eggs since they aren't fertilized.

You can, obviously, eat eggs if you want, but technically that ain't bein' a vegan. Having nothing to do with fertilized vs unfertilized, but having to do with avoiding any products coming from animals, e.g. fur, leather, milk and milk products such as butter and cheese, beeswax, wool, etc.

Just a matter of personal philosophy.

Pat, clearly spending waaaay too much time at the computer tonight

The vegans that I know eat no eggs, no dairy, no seafood.
I could do fine w/o beef, w/o chicken, maybe without fish... But, no cheese? I don't think so!

There are vegans opposed to using ANY animals products AT ALL. They consider it to be animal exploitation. That being said, I see nothing wrong with using eggs from well cared for animals. You will have to decide how far you want to take your veganism, just be aware that not everyone is going to agree with you no matter what you decide.

NUTRITION-wise, eggs are nearly a perfect food. Depriving yourself of such a good nutrition source seems silly to me....especially when you know they are quality and where they came from.

Vegans don't eat or use any product that comes from an animal. That includes eggs (fertilized or not,) honey, dairy products, no leather shoes or clothing, etc. Lacto/Ovo Vegetarians eat eggs and dairy products.

So, if you choose to eat eggs from your own chickens that you humanely raised, why not? Your choice. But under the definition of being Vegan, egg eating it a no-no.

There are other vegetarians on BYC. I'm sure they can give you guidance as well.

Peace!

I have been a vegetarian for 17 years now, and my hubby has for 35. Through that journey I can tell you that it's best not to focus on definitions and titles. We all have our own boundaries in our hunt for balance. I choose not to eat much cheese and generally avoid milk, and of course I eat no meat. The reason I don't eat meat is because of how they are treated in big Ag, I don't really see anything wrong with eating meat if it is pasture raised and lives a good life (and has minimal environmental impact). But, I feel like if it would bother me too much to kill the animal myself, I shouldn't eat it, so I don't. My good friend is a vegetarian and does have issues with anyone eating meat, even if it is raised humanely. Which is a fine view for her to have, like I said, we all have our own lines in the sand we draw. Honestly, if your chickens are happy and well taken care of, it would be just fine for you to eat the eggs. They are going to lay them whether or not you eat them. Could you call yourself a vegan if that is the only animal product you utilize, maybe if it's really important to you to be defined as a vegan. It would be fudging, but it's a tiny fudge when taking into account the big picture. . But is the title really what matters and defines you anyway?

Right, you need to get your terms correct. Not that what you call yourself is in any way important to anyone but yourselves, but if you want to discuss the subject, you need to know what you are, vegan or vegetarian or something in between.

I have not eaten meat such as beef or chicken for around ten years but I have decided to continue to eat fish so am I a vegetarian? I don't think so. I'm definitely not vegan as I do eat eggs and dairy products. And has been stated, an egg being fertilized has absolutely nothing to do with the subject.

Sounds like you and your friends need to do a little more research and introspection if you have a burning need to define yourselves. And more importantly, you need to know and believe in the reasons why you are making the choices you are making. Anything less than a full undertanding is just playing with different lifestyles.

Wayne

How about being a Lacto-ova-Vegan. You may then drink milk and eat eggs. Produce your own eggs and get your milk from a local responsible dairy or try goat milk from a local farmer. ( or you could get youself a goat or a cow)

I say go ahead and eat your eggs. Going Vegan is a huge lifestyle change and your meals have to be carefully planned to make sure you get proper nutrition. After a lot of research, I decided to remain vegetarian - mainly because I'm not getting rid of my animals and I'm not going to just throw out eggs & milk after all the effort the animals go through to provide it.

Just do what feels right to you.........

Back
Top Bottom