Eggs found outside, can I hatch them?

Shlamoof

Chirping
Jul 17, 2018
My husband and I have been suspecting for some time now that our freerangers had a hidden nest somewhere. He just found it, 17 eggs. What are the chances that any of them will hatch if I incubate them? It has been pretty chilly here at night, so I wonder if that will make them nonviable.

Attachments

• 45589484_193722318209258_3714565339971846144_n.jpg
    45589484_193722318209258_3714565339971846144_n.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 61
If it was just 1 chicken then most eggs are probably no good.

If it was mutiple chickens and the eggs didnt get rained on and it wasnt below 40s then you have a good chance some are viable.

Throw them babies in the incubator ASAP! And after a week candle them and throw out the bad ones, never hurts to experiment! :jumpy:jumpy

You can certainly try.

Personally, I would sanitize them. I always sanitize regardless, but especially would if they've sat outside. I use super hot tap water 50/50 with original gold Listerine and just dip them.

I'd probably candle on day 10 as well to check for development and toss clears, as sitting outside may give an even higher chance of having one explode.

My husband and I have been suspecting for some time now that our freerangers had a hidden nest somewhere. He just found it, 17 eggs. What are the chances that any of them will hatch if I incubate them? It has been pretty chilly here at night, so I wonder if that will make them nonviable.
That has happened to me more times than I can count! :lau

I just eat them.

Thanks, guys :) They were all from the same chicken, an off-white that I suspect is one of our Easter Eggers. Kinda bummed that they aren't blue, but it's a pretty pinkish beige, so I'll take it. I've put them all in and am hoping for the best.

Aart, yes there is. I candled for fun, not expecting anything, and look!!!!! So many of them have noticeable change! I had a hard time seeing with some of them because my eyes started seeing dark spots from the flashlight, lol. And to make it all better, the serama egg I threw in has a dark spot in the yolk too. I'm so excited!
received_1184781341671867.jpeg

How long have they been in the incubator?
Shouldn't be be able to see anything until they've been at ~100°F for 2-3 days.

This is the end of day 2. I wasn't expecting to see anything at all. The other eggs we put in last week have nothing, just a slightly dark clouds where the yolk is, nothing like these dark spots.

Back
Top Bottom