eggs freezing

thanks everyone for your replies... I will see if I can find the thread... It's not gonna get above freezing this weekend, so far my coop has been around 40 or so degrees. So for now I don't thinkI have to worry about it. The idea of the "pet warmer" is great..I use those for my cats in the winter.. only problem is I don't think I can put those in the nest boxes unless I can get smaller one..

I have a friend who lives in Northern Michigan and puts the hunters hand or feet warmers in the nest boxes.

Quote:
When the egg freezes it will swell thus causing the shell to crack. I find that, if my hens share a nest box, the eggs are usually being set on for most of the day. I explain to the people who buy my extra eggs that there will be scratches on the eggs because I allow the hens to sit on them during the day (the hens always turn the eggs which causes the scratches). So my hens try pretty hard to keep the eggs from freezing by sitting on them while I am away from the house
smile.png

Ideally the more often you can collect them the less chance of a frozen egg. Also the more chickens you have the more likely one will be on the nest frequent enough to keep the eggs reasonably warm. That being said, you're most likely to get a few when the coop temperature drop into the single digits and below range even with the above--one of the joys of living in God's Country.

What about the length of time an egg will be good after it has been cold (no chicken sitting on it) in cold weather...not necessarily frozen, but very cold.
Do I need to refrigerate them?
I don't refrigerate my eggs now, but with cold weather I was told that once they are cold you have to refrigerate them.
Any ideas on how long they will keep...and if I have to refrigerate them once they are cold?
thanks!
Jason

Quote:
Never gave it a though, never worried about it. I think the refrigerating them pertains to commercial eggs that have been washed and refrigerated.

How long could the egg sit in cold temps before it is too late to put in the bator? Say it is 30 outside and your hens lay around 10 a.m. but you don't get home until 5, and they are not broody. Will it still be possible to incubate the egg?

Back
Top Bottom