Eggs from Ireland?

mmaddie's mom

Songster
9 Years
Jun 2, 2010
Elmwood, Illinois, USA
Not sure if this is the best place to put this question
idunno.gif
and it is kinda off the wall but here goes...

We will be in Ireland in mid-September
big_smile.png
... is it possible, advisable, feasible, legal, etc. to hand carry fertile eggs back with us?!?
hmm.png

Wouldn't that be the BEST souvenir!?!
celebrate.gif

It's not legal, sorry. Some diseases are passed through the egg and they probably have different disease issues than we do. You could be bringing something into the country that would be devastating to the flocks here.

hugs.gif
Don't feel bad-that probably would have been my first thought, too if I were going out of the country.
big_smile.png

I will say this, though, I am extremely jealous that you are going to Ireland-it's on my bucket list.

I am guessing that if you have your legal stuff in a row carrying them back yourself would be the best way. If you are really interested and know a breeder it might be the thing to get set up.

My son's fiance is having a group of her friends here for their wedding, I am going to check to see if any of them are rural and if they have any interest in assisting with finding breeders etc. I imagine the odds are slim, but some of the varieties of Orps are pretty awesome

by the way you will enjoy Ireland very much. I had the priveledge a few years ago and enjoyed it very much

Don't know a soul in Ireland... but just yesterday met another BYC person on the forum from Ireland... asked her the same question but have not heard back from her yet... I think it's the middle of the night/early morning over there.
hu.gif

If anyone has any contacts or thoughts on how this could be done legally and well, I would be open... but I'm guessing that I've started with this idea a little too late?
idunno.gif

ps: Are there any day trips you would recommend while over there? We have a car rented and we like non-touristy/off the beaten path stuff. We are staying in Drogheda and attending a wedding in Navan.

@ Speckledhen... I totally heard you! A friend brought back several Giant African Land Snales from Canada... I hatched 4 eggs... and then we found out how damaging they could be to local farm land if they ever got loose! (AND they were illegal... yikes
hide.gif
) She turned hers in and I froze mine... very sad but it had to be done... I had bad dreams for weeks about them getting loose! Only LEGAL and safe for me now!

I was on a business trip so cant be much of a tour guide. I can say that the pubs, the more rural one's were awesome and in my recollection kids were allowed in the pubs. The music was just great.
There are many castles that will take your breath away. If you have a bit of a connection with your BYC person I would see what they can tell you about the non beaten paths.

It is an exciting place

If people can import chickens, I'm sure eggs can be imported as well. I used to ship plants all over the world, and for them you need a phyto-sanitary certificate which is easily obtained from local authorities providing the specimens being shipped are disease free. I'm not 100% sure about eggs, but I would imagine it could be done without too much effort. I would think you'll need to get some or other piece of paper in Ireland which certifies the eggs are okay for export purposes. Why not email the customs department in Ireland and also in your own country? I'm sure they will be able to offer you accurate advice. Anyway, good luck
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom