eggs had a bad trip

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by muddyhorse, Jan 22, 2010.

1. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    [​IMG] i had two orders of eggs arrive today the first set was perfect wynadottes, BLRW, Japs, leghorns. the second batch had 30 eggs 14 of which were smashed. the box was leaking and crunched on one corner. the eggs were well packed, but had a rough ride. they were specked sussex and westmullers. I wiped off the outsides as best I could they were soaked in yolk. I'm very sad [​IMG]

2. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    [​IMG] I"m sorry [​IMG] Unfortunately it happens. Maybe your egg contact will help you out and ship more for the cost of shipping.

3. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    I know this is probably small consolation, but I once had all but a few eggs smashed when they arrived. I did get one chick hatch out of that mess....
    [​IMG] Here is hoping it all goes well.

4. Ban seabhag

Ban seabhag Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Glenn HWY Alaska
    I got 7 araucana eggs and 3 of them were cracked, 2 had numerous bubbles everywhere. I set 2 with detached air cells and I have one chick as of 2 days ago. The second never started. I wouldn't have bet on ANY after looking at that box.

5. little_grey_bantam

little_grey_bantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Russell County
    I almost cried today after getting that message [​IMG]

I guess it's a first time for everything [​IMG] to screw up a box of eggs like that!!!
    I went from thinking "Oh, that could NEVER happen to me" to "[​IMG] *Sobs* it happened to me!!!"

I think that was a Post Office fluke - I spent literally 30-45 minutes assembling those eggs and picking out the best, cleanest eggs and wishing them their safe arrival!!!! (not enough prayers???)

And yes, I would be MORE than happy to send ya additional eggs if ya help with the shipping [​IMG] at least HALF the eggs made it [​IMG]

Is this a normal thing? I've received a lot of eggs, but only once did this happen... I feel so sad [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    I don't know one way or the other if I will ever ship or receive eggs via mail, but do any of you know if FedEx would be a safer method and more reliable shipping alternative?

7. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Quote:Do you mean Welsummers [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  8. little_grey_bantam

little_grey_bantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Russell County
    Quote:I know a few things about shipping eggs:

Try not to use plastic... anytime I've had eggs shipped wrapped in plastic, it suffocates the eggs... (these were eggs who were a little too "snug"). Ship REALLY well... try to reinforce the box!!! Now, bubble wrap and such around the box and what not is alright.

I just looked up a thing on FedEx...
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=153826

Even worse [​IMG] They bombard your eggs down!!! !!!!!!

SOmeone said ground shipping is the best... more safer way... but it's so expensive!
    I don't want to risk safety of eggs due to cheaper post... but don't want to force buyers to pay that much! I usually split the cost or something....

Lastly, PRAY PRAY PRAY!!! PRAY!!!! And be very understanding to your customer... "life happens" even though it sucks at times [​IMG]

9. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    This is the reason I do not buy eggs that need to be shipped. I will drive 8 hrs one way to pick up the eggs first.
    No matter how good the shipper package the eggs, the postal workers will screw them up.
    One of my hatch buddies retired from the P O. She heard I was going to have some eggs shipped, I thought she was having a heart attack when she called me. Then she told me what some of the workers do with them and packages marked fragile. At the time she was working at the main shipping point in Marysville, Ca.
    These pople actually play catch with these boxes and in some cses will walk on them.
    NO SHIPPED EGGS FOR ME.
    Read some of the past posts about shipped eggs. One person waiting for the eggs, saw the mail person coming down the road, as he drove by he throw the package out of the truck, hoping it would land on the proch.

10. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Thats horrible why wont someone report that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by