Eggs dying off days 10-11

wolfcat87

In the Brooder
Jun 17, 2023
Has anyone else had mass die offs of eggs around day 10? I have no idea why it keeps happening.

This is my second batch of eggs being hatched in my Nurture right 360. The first batch was duck eggs that hatched about a month ago. 5 out of 18 eggs made it to hatch. This batch is chicken eggs on day 14. Only 3 look alive out of 18. Both batches are shipped eggs. Last batch the house temp was 74 with no insulation the first half of the incubation. This batch the house temp is 68, and the incubator has been wrapped in a towel the entire time. No drafts or direct sunlight. There's a hygrometer with thermometer inside as well as the built in one, and temps have stayed between 98 and 102, turner is working, humidity is 40-55 most of the time. Both batches from different sellers in different states. Duck eggs only took 2 days to get here from about 3 states away. The chicken eggs came across the country from Florida and got lost a bit in the mail for a few days, so they took 6 days to arrive. Both had a rough ride here.

Both batch of eggs had most eggs fertilized, and most began to develop. The internet has been saying that if they were dying from anything in shipping, they would have died the first week.

The duck eggs had about 12-13 make it to day 10. Within the next day or two only 6-7 were still developing.

The chicken eggs had at least 17 fertile. But, with both hatches the eggs gradually stated developing losing a few on the way. The major die off is always around day 10. Out of this batch,14-15 eggs were still developing great on day 9. When checked on day 11, 8 looked like they suddenly stopped all at the same time. By day 13, only 3 appear to still be developing.

Having this many eggs die off all at once around thew same time both times makes me think something is going horribly wrong on day 10. Does anyone know what could cause this?

I have never heard of this happening, maybe your temps are off? I have no idea if yours are correct because I use the metric system.

Wish I could help more. Hope someone who knows what's happening responds soon.

Has anyone else had mass die offs of eggs around day 10? I have no idea why it keeps happening.

This is my second batch of eggs being hatched in my Nurture right 360. The first batch was duck eggs that hatched about a month ago. 5 out of 18 eggs made it to hatch. This batch is chicken eggs on day 14. Only 3 look alive out of 18. Both batches are shipped eggs. Last batch the house temp was 74 with no insulation the first half of the incubation. This batch the house temp is 68, and the incubator has been wrapped in a towel the entire time. No drafts or direct sunlight. There's a hygrometer with thermometer inside as well as the built in one, and temps have stayed between 98 and 102, turner is working, humidity is 40-55 most of the time. Both batches from different sellers in different states. Duck eggs only took 2 days to get here from about 3 states away. The chicken eggs came across the country from Florida and got lost a bit in the mail for a few days, so they took 6 days to arrive. Both had a rough ride here.

Both batch of eggs had most eggs fertilized, and most began to develop. The internet has been saying that if they were dying from anything in shipping, they would have died the first week.

The duck eggs had about 12-13 make it to day 10. Within the next day or two only 6-7 were still developing.

The chicken eggs had at least 17 fertile. But, with both hatches the eggs gradually stated developing losing a few on the way. The major die off is always around day 10. Out of this batch,14-15 eggs were still developing great on day 9. When checked on day 11, 8 looked like they suddenly stopped all at the same time. By day 13, only 3 appear to still be developing.

Having this many eggs die off all at once around thew same time both times makes me think something is going horribly wrong on day 10. Does anyone know what could cause this?
I do know that 102 degrees is too high and will kill the chick embryo. Never go over 100, and humidity should be around 60 until day 18, then increase to around 75 when in lock down.

Back
Top Bottom