Eggs Hatching NOW :D

12 of them hatched, 13 if I include Boson, but I lost one the next day. It hadn't been doing that well after hatch, sort of expected that. The 12 that are left are darling though. They are in a small cage inside of my regular quail tank, on top of the under tank heating pad and underneath the heat lamp. They are in there so that they big quail can see them, but there are plastic and paper guards on the sides so they can't get at them. Quark, my male, has made a nest beside their "brooder" and sits watching them after he eats. Dinner and a show?? They all run to whatever side of their cage he is on, cheeping excitedly.

They all get SUPER EXCITED when I refill the water dishes (I say water dishes... but they are bottle caps... because they can't have anything larger. They can already sit inside the bottle caps!)- they all start running around squeaking up a storm and getting in and out of the water (and they even drink some of it). I have to fill them, wait until they are exhausted from playing in the water, and then refill them again so they can have a drink. Good thing the bedding they are on dries really fast!

I put in three small food dishes and they by far love the ceramic one best (I think because the heat lamp heats it up). They had been "nesting" in the ceramic bowl together but when I added a different water bowl today they got so excited they made a new nest next to it like "FRIEND!" ...no that is a water dish silly quails. "..... Friend. *cuddle*"

They get "lost" at night and all start making the lost chick noise at the top of their teeny tiny lungs (piercing noise!) because the big quail sleep on the other side of the tank... so I've been putting in a little stuffed hippo and they've all been sleeping under it like mom. Gosh they are so adorable! I will get pictures saturday when I'm actually at home when there's light outside so it doesn't look like I'm taking pictures from inside a cave. My room is anything but well lit but it's the only room in the house warm enough for them!

Back
Top Bottom