Eggs hatching under 2 hens. NEED HELP ASAP!!!!!

pennie1

Redneck Silkie
10 Years
Aug 17, 2009
Hiles
The eggs are starting to hatch under 2 hens. One egg started to crack open and this morning when I looked, that egg had been pecked and the baby was dead inside. Should I take the remaining eggs and put them in an incubator or just wait and see what happens? Should I take the hens out and check the other eggs? The hens are a standard Cochin that has always been an EXCELLENT mother before, and a bantam BR that has never set before and she is about 5 years old. Please give advice ASAP. Thank you all.
roll.png

This is my first time for hatching, and I have two hens who are sitting on eggs. Yesterday I discovered one healthy chick and one that appeared to have died in the egg. The egg had been pecked kind of like you described, but I thought it may have just been the mama trying to give a hand. I removed the dead chick and shell and put the hen back on her last two eggs. This morning, one of those eggs hatched--I was in the coop regularly throughout the morning--and the hen seems to be doing fine with the new chick. I now have two unhatched eggs left (one under each of the new mamas), so I'm just checking things in the coop frequently to see how things are going. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom