Mother off eggs

Maggiechrisman

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2023
How long can a mother hen be off her hatching eggs before we have problems? I’m in Ohio, weather has been in low 40s today, max amount of time that we are for sure of is 4ish hours give or take. Eggs are around 12 days along.

I’ve been meticulously checking these eggs every morning and night and I was in bed with a migraine last night and my husband tended the chickens. He said they were on them last night and for sure today around 4:30/5:00. I just went out there at 9 and they had moved to the eggs that were laid today. 🤦🏼‍♀️ I checked the eggs and I didn’t notice any difference.. they were definitely not warm like the ones they were sitting on but now I don’t know what to do. Google says a lot of different things. Some articles say max 1 hour in cooler temps (with no reference to temp) and one article said up to 10 hours.
We’ve never done this before and I don’t know what to do. Our kids are SO excited to have our own eggs hatch and I really wanted to let the moms do their thing.. any advice? What should I keep an eye on tomorrow for? Will I know for sure if they’re dead or not? None of them had the red ring thing on the inside but I did notice they weren’t as active as they were the day before
Help 😂😭

Attachments

• IMG_3372.jpeg
    IMG_3372.jpeg
    752.2 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom