eggs hatching

lillie2

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 24, 2008
newcastle under lyme. England.
Hi , We set three eggs under our broody chickens and yesterday was day 21. In the night one little chickie appeared but nothing from the other two. They seem the same in appearence as the one that hatched and the mummy chicken has not discarded them but no cracks have appeared. I think i can hear movement inside and am convinced i can hear tapping ( although my husband thinks i'm mad !) What do i do ? do i intervene and make a small nick in the shell or just leave well alone ... and if i leave them how long do i leave it before removing them from under her ?
hmm.png

Hey,

I thought that the mom would help them if need be... also she will know if the chick will survive or not instinctually.

If this is not true, please someone update me....

I do know that pigeon parents dont let sick chicks live.

Thanks for your advice ... i'm thinking that the fact that she still sitting on them is a good sign as she did flick one egg out of the nest quite early on which i am assured was probably due to there being something wrong with it. Any ideas how old my little chickie will be before i can tell if he is a she ? and how do i tell ?
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom