eggs hatching

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by lillie2, May 24, 2008.

1. lillie2

lillie2 Out Of The Brooder

Hi , We set three eggs under our broody chickens and yesterday was day 21. In the night one little chickie appeared but nothing from the other two. They seem the same in appearence as the one that hatched and the mummy chicken has not discarded them but no cracks have appeared. I think i can hear movement inside and am convinced i can hear tapping ( although my husband thinks i'm mad !) What do i do ? do i intervene and make a small nick in the shell or just leave well alone ... and if i leave them how long do i leave it before removing them from under her ? [​IMG]

2. knippk

knippk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Grayson KY
    Well.....congrads.....i would give it a bit more time!!!!

3. black404

black404 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Hey,

I thought that the mom would help them if need be... also she will know if the chick will survive or not instinctually.

If this is not true, please someone update me....

I do know that pigeon parents dont let sick chicks live.

4. lillie2

lillie2 Out Of The Brooder

Thanks for your advice ... i'm thinking that the fact that she still sitting on them is a good sign as she did flick one egg out of the nest quite early on which i am assured was probably due to there being something wrong with it. Any ideas how old my little chickie will be before i can tell if he is a she ? and how do i tell ? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by