Eggs... how long do they keep?

m_herrington

Songster
11 Years
Apr 18, 2008
ohio
My chickens just started laying 2-3 weeks ago, and I am now selling most of my eggs.

How long do you keep your eggs? Do you try to "date" them? or just keep them rotated.

I know that grocery store eggs are supposed to be months old, but I don't want to sell any eggs that aren't "fresh" or could be unsafe to eat.

Hangin Wit My Peeps

AutumnBreezeChickens.com
11 Years
Apr 20, 2008
Birnamwood, Wisconsin
OH gosh I think fresh eggs are good through 2 months. I have kept mine for three and they still smelled good and we ate them...everyone was fine
I date each egg in pencil when I get it from the hen house. Than I put them oldest to the right side of the carton and fresh to the right. AND my customers know how fresh they are too
They love that I do that. OR if you collect a dozen just write the date on the carton itself. "LAID 10/10/08" Our egg lady did that and I loved that. No question as to how they are than.

Alpha Roo

Songster
11 Years
Sep 10, 2008
Apple Valley, CA
I happened to catch an episode of How's It Made last night, and eggs were a topic. They said they have a 35 day shelf life. Wonder how long it actually takes to get to the shelf of the store.

Top Bottom