Eggs in mail for a week

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cindydj, Nov 17, 2007.

1. cindydj

cindydj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2007
    My silkie eggs I finally got, were in the mail for 6 days....do you think I will have any luck? I let them rest then got them in the bator lastnight.....who knows when and if they will hatch with all the traveling. These are some quality eggs and I just hope I can get a few chicks out of them....

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

All you can do is try. Stranger things have happened in the hatching world. If they were packed well, maybe some will hatch anyway. They are a little older than we'd like to see by now, but I've heard of people hatching eggs stored longer than normal times, so who knows? Good luck!

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Don't give up completely.....my last hatch had some eggs that were in the mail 6-7 days and I got 2 chicks out of them. Not good, but better than nothing! [​IMG]

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I would try too....I've heard of lots of hatches later than 6 days mailing time...acouple even would be a good hatch for that late a date...

5. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    I have had eggs in the mail for over 10 days and still had a 75% hatch. Eggs that came in two days and a 10% hatch. Both came from the same breeder. 10 days is ok if the eggs where fresh when sent and not abused in shipping.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by