Eggs keep dying before pipping~please help newbie!

I'm on my 4th incubation of eggs. Here's what worked/didn't work for me.

1. !st incubation - 4 aracuana eggs. Kept the humidity around 30% and the temp hovered between 100 - 102. For the last 3 days we upped the humidity to 70%. Three eggs never hatched and the 4th we had to help hatch - it took hours and we had no clue what we were doing. The chicken lived for 6 months then died.

2. 2nd incubation - 12 eggs (mixed) Kept the humidity around 16% and temp between 99-102 degrees. The last 3 days we upped the humidity to 70% Six hatched and lived. All alive today.

3. 3rd incubation - 18 eggs (mixed). Kept the humidity around 16% and the temp between 99 - 100 with a couple variation of 102. The last 3 days we upped the humidity to 60-65%. 15 eggs hatched and lived and did well. We got rid of some and lost some to predators. :-(

4. 4th Incubation - 26 eggs (mixed) Kept the humidity around 16% and the temp between 99 - 100 with a couple variation of 102. Just started the last 3 days tonight and I upped the humidity to 60% with a max of 65.

Hope it helps.

Funny - I noticed some of my eggs moving tonight. The rooster is a Silkie/Phoenix mix.

Hi again. It is a pretty crappy day all around. Eggtopsied the 2 babies, both in correct position, never pipped, still had yolk sacs attached. I will upload the graphic pics later. Having a problem getting the bator below 20% as my remaining eggs need to lose some weight!

BUT! The worst part of this whole thing is, I received a phone call from the city telling me I had been misinformed about my city ordinances. Chickens are not legal and I have 5 days to sell my stock. The health dept guy kind of snickered when I mentioned contacting my alderperson to see what could be done. If he 'has any say in it, chickens will stay in the country, where they belong'. So! Any suggestions on THAT end also greatly appreciated. What a bummer. Guess I've got bigger eggs to fry, trying to find somewhere for my birds and the gorgeous coop I built.:(

Hi again. It is a pretty crappy day all around. Eggtopsied the 2 babies, both in correct position, never pipped, still had yolk sacs attached. I will upload the graphic pics later. Having a problem getting the bator below 20% as my remaining eggs need to lose some weight!
BUT! The worst part of this whole thing is, I received a phone call from the city telling me I had been misinformed about my city ordinances. Chickens are not legal and I have 5 days to sell my stock. The health dept guy kind of snickered when I mentioned contacting my alderperson to see what could be done. If he 'has any say in it, chickens will stay in the country, where they belong'. So! Any suggestions on THAT end also greatly appreciated. What a bummer. Guess I've got bigger eggs to fry, trying to find somewhere for my birds and the gorgeous coop I built.:(

well that stinks.:hugs

BUT! The worst part of this whole thing is, I received a phone call from the city telling me I had been misinformed about my city ordinances. Chickens are not legal and I have 5 days to sell my stock. The health dept guy kind of snickered when I mentioned contacting my alderperson to see what could be done. If he 'has any say in it, chickens will stay in the country, where they belong'. So! Any suggestions on THAT end also greatly appreciated. What a bummer. Guess I've got bigger eggs to fry, trying to find somewhere for my birds and the gorgeous coop I built.
sad.png

most days I hate people.. *sighs*... maybe try posting it in this section: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/37/local-chicken-laws-ordinances-and-how-to-change-them

that's just another reason I like living out in the country... please keep us updated

He's the one that's misinformed. Taken off Milwaukee's website in their city ordinances, http://cctv25.milwaukee.gov/netit-code81/volume1_/ch78/CH78.pdf :

BUT! The worst part of this whole thing is, I received a phone call from the city telling me I had been misinformed about my city ordinances. Chickens are not legal and I have 5 days to sell my stock. The health dept guy kind of snickered when I mentioned contacting my alderperson to see what could be done. If he 'has any say in it, chickens will stay in the country, where they belong'. So! Any suggestions on THAT end also greatly appreciated. What a bummer. Guess I've got bigger eggs to fry, trying to find somewhere for my birds and the gorgeous coop I built.
sad.png

Last edited:
That's a bummer about the ordinances. Maybe you could get the balling rolling on trying to change those ordinances. Geez, even the city of Pittsburgh (the actual city) allows people to have chickens.

Moonkit~I wish this were true but I live in a suburb of milwaukee, South Milwaukee :/ after reviewing what I could find of my ordinances, chickens are not legal but pigeons are so....can't the law be bent just a little?? No, I know, but I've gotta fight it somehow!

If I'm not mistaken that ordinance is just for the immediate city, Milwaukee, right? That sucks! But if a big ol city is going to pass the ordinance than I don't see why the suburban areas surrounding it wouldn't. ?? It's worth a shot. Do you have anyone that can take them?

Youre right, they are legal in the city, not the suburbs...I'll be talking to my alderman tomorrow to see what can be done. I've got a friend my girls can go to for now...keep your fingers crossed!!

Back
Top Bottom