Eggs. Keep them in the refrigerator or at room temperature?

Eggs. Keep them in the refrigerator or at room temperature?

• Fridge.

Votes: 29 69.0%
  • Room temp.

Votes: 13 31.0%

• Total voters

harrisville chicken

Songster
13 Years
Apr 2, 2009
Northern Utah
We keep our eggs in the refrigerator, but have heard of people keeping them at room temperature. If fresh eggs are going to be used within a week (two at the most), which way would you store them?

They are safe on the counter, but for eggs my family is going to eat, I wash them and put them in the fridge.

If i have hatching eggs that don't sell, I notice that when they are cracked and cooked that there is a faint odor. I think the smell of the mud on the shells soaks through the shell after a few days at room temperature.

It makes me wonder if all the people who say they don't like the taste of duck eggs have been eating eggs that have sat around dirty at room temperature. Because there is no odor when they are fresh or when they are stored clean.

that is one of my favorite scriptures
smile.png

Eggs should be washed & refrigerated within 12 hrs. If I don't get them in the fridge within that time I don't sell them. I do eat them but they must be cooked (not over easy or sunny side up) if not refrigerated in a day I feed them to the flock. This is a safe method.

Eggs don't need to be refirgerated unless they have been washed. I would probably check for cracks and flaws in the shell before leaving them on the counter though. Store bought eggs are washed, therefore I must refrigerate the eggs I have. Once I get chickens, I want to get one of the wire spiral baskets to set on the counter and store the eggs in.

My thought process - A hen will lay an egg a day. The egg will lay in the nest until she has enough laid and is ready to sit on them. She doesn't put them in the frig and they don't go bad.

I would think it depends on whether they are fertile or not... Just judging by smells in the incubator, and the way the infertile ones go bad. I'd fridge eating eggs just to be safe, to keep bacterial multiplications down. Salmonella is no joke.

Here's a thought. I picked up some eggs in my yard (years ago) & thought they were fresh. Just 2 the hen wasn't sitting. It didn't bother me if they were a couple days old cause we cook our eggs completely so no worry of getting sick. A couple times we found a developing chick but it was rare. Well I boiled some eggs & my husband took them to work. The food bum on his job wanted 1. Oops...boiled chick? Yep ! I still laugh but I changed my habits of gathering eggs & do what the FDA recommends.

Here's a thought. I picked up some eggs in my yard (years ago) & thought they were fresh. Just 2 the hen wasn't sitting. It didn't bother me if they were a couple days old cause we cook our eggs completely so no worry of getting sick. A couple times we found a developing chick but it was rare. Well I boiled some eggs & my husband took them to work. The food bum on his job wanted 1. Oops...boiled chick? Yep ! I still laugh but I changed my habits of gathering eggs & do what the FDA recommends.

What does the FDA recommend?

Back
Top Bottom