Eggs laid in hot weather

SubUFarmer

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 19, 2011
Grovetown
My girls just started laying so I am totally new to this amazing experience. I leave for work by 0630 in the morning so for the past 3 days (first egg was 3 days ago), the eggs are laid after I leave and have to wait to be picked up until I get home between 4 and 5. The temp inside the coop is about 102 degrees. Are the eggs still edible? I am going to work on beefing up the coops insulation in the meantime.

Yes they are fine, but collect them as often as possible this time of year. I live is AZ and have never had a bad egg as long as we collect daily and sometimes we don't get to it until later in the afternoon.

I got our first two eggs today. It was up over 100º in the coop today and I'm not even sure if both were laid today or if it was one chicken laying two days in a row. But I found them about 7 p.m. tonight. Fried them up and made an egg sandwich. They were fine and tasted great. Like southerndesert said, just get them as soon as possible and they should be fine.

Egg temp at laying is 105 degrees, so they do pretty good in hot weather until they can be collected that day and put in the frig. I'm in AZ, too. Through the week mine will individually cycle from laying early morning around 6am to laying later in the day...so some of the ones you get might be laid not too long before you home. Do you have a roo? And congrats on your first eggs!

I woke up this morning and found my previously lost chicken sitting on this pile of 13 beauties. Temps have reached over 105 daily and i know she had not laid then all in one day. Some may have been there as much as 6 days. Suggestions? ?

Okay...this sort of answers the question I had. I am also in Phoenix and I have a Bantam and a Rhode Island Red, neither or which are laying right now. I was thinking it was because of the hot weather but maybe there is something else going on. They are both behaving normally and they are active, just no eggs. I had a third chicken that died about two weeks ago, they haven't laid since.

Its super shady in my yard as i live in an old part of town that has irrigation and I have tons of trees everywhere. Basically where the eggs were laid doesn't get any Sun all day. also I heard that chickens are very social so with the fact that the one died it might have upset them and they're not laying for a while.what also could be happening is your yard might be a lot harder than mine is I'm not sure they seem to be laying fine these days.I was just wondering if the eggs had gone bad that might have been sitting there in the heat for a while but found out that probably not.

Back
Top Bottom