Hen laid holes in egg 🥚

It’s hard to tell in this photo, which happened to be the only one I have,in the photo it looks like one tornado spiral of a yolk lol but in person you could distinctly see the separation between each tiny yolk. And they were TINY.
Hmmmmm.....
Wonders if part of a follicle broke off.

Sounds age related to me, compounded by the fact that she just started laying again this season. It can take a while for their egg laying system to get the kinks worked out. Glitch in the shell glad is my opinion. Good new is, it's likely things will improve as she gets used to laying again. I think there's hope.

As far as meat spots in your other girls' eggs, meat spots are genetic and occur from day one for specific hens. Commercially, these hens are culled from the flock, and automated egg inspection technology uses very bright lights and computer analysis of imagery to ensure no meat spots make it to consumers. They are harmless and can be eaten, but folks aren't used to it if they're used to commercial eggs.

Now, if there's actual blood, and not meat spots (which are solid and dark dark red or brown), then I would say there's been some inclusion of ovarian tissue in the eggs. Probably fine to eat also, but I'm not sure. I wouldn't. Usually this is just a one-off, but if you have older hens, and they start having blood inside the egg/yolk on a regular basis and she's a pet, then I'd just start feeding that hen's eggs back to her flockmates until she ceases laying. This indicates a malfunction in the reproductive system as the egg is being created. I like to hide what I'm doing from the hens, crack the egg into a bowl, smash the shell with my fingers, and give it to them for an almost instant awesome treat.
I have a girl whose eggs frequently have meat spots and have always wondered why I’d never seen them in commercial eggs.

:caf Fascinating stuff.
The only eggs I ever see meat spots in (sorry, fractured grammar!) are my two Marans'. One is a blue copper, the other is a FBCM. And not every egg, but ... fairly frequent. They are either 2 or 3 years old. Will have to check records.

Back
Top Bottom