Eggs, laying and cleaning

ChickOhio

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 17, 2009
Hello Its been quite awhile since we posted last but our chixs have been laying regularly since late july (Born 13 march 2009) We went through very small pullets egs and now are getting large brown,green,white and sometimes blue eggs. For the most part they are laid in the nesting boxes lined with straw. We have 22 hens 1 roo and three nest boxes. We average 12 eggs a day with one day 18 shouldnt we be getting more? Continus access to laying feed and water.
Also what is the best way to clean the eggs that get some poo, dry wiping with a dishrag hasnt been too sucessful.
We have been selling our eggs to neighbors for $2 a doz. We are barely breaking even on feed costs, how can we increase the production. We have brown leghorns, ameracuanas,rir,black austrops, barred rock.

Thanks,

I don't think many people here are breaking even with their egg sales. But you may be able to get $3/dozen.

If you think you are not getting enough production from your hens, you might look at these possible reasons:

Molting, hidden nests, heat or other environmental stress, diet, snakes or other egg eating visitors, egg-eating chickens, ...

Our birds were born about the same time, we have 25 hens and 3 roos and getting about 16 eggs a day. I only get $1 a dozen, but I raise the birds for more than eggs, it is great entertainment for my 5 yr old and my 10 ane 12 yr old. I clean my eggs only if necessary with a damp papertowel. Have fun!thumbsup

Iwouldn't hesitate to ask for $3 a dozen, I've got friends who gladly pay that for good, fresh, free range eggs with those wonderful deep orange yolks they get from eating bugs and suchlike.
If you're breaking even and are happy with that, stick with it.
When I was a kid, my mom had the chicken concession on dad's farm, she had 150 hens or so and would keep them for two years then butcher and sell the meat and start over. We used to laugh about her "egg money" which she kept in a mason jar in the kitchen but it sure came in handy when needed. My job was gathering, crating and cleaning the eggs and getting them in the cooler. She would sell to local groceries and had a thriving business with them, they would also buy the butchered ones.

We have no egg eaters or snakes, Just thought we should be averaging 18 per day with 23 hens. i am thinking about adding a light and timer to the coop.

My girls are the same age (same born on date) but I have black stars and other major egg laying breeds lol. We have 10 and we average 8 a day with only ONE 10 egg day. Is it the breed you chose maybe?

I have 20 hens (mostly RIRs) that were hatched on 3/6/09. Only one of my hens is laying at this point. I am anxiously awaiting better lays, but also know that not every hen begins laying at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom