Eggs moving for two days yesterday hatch date, no chicks. HELP!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chick123600, May 31, 2011.

1. chick123600

chick123600 In the Brooder

Apr 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Yeyyyy!!!!!!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Not to worry. If your temp is 99 they can arrive a few hrs later. The lower the temp the longer it takes for them to hatch. The higher the quicker they will hatch. I keep my LG at 100. It went up to 101 and I had some chicks hatch on day 19. I had just taken the egg turner out the night before and set them for hatching and the next morning I came out to some chicks already hatched. What a surprise as they were supposed to have 2 more days before they were supposed to hatch. Also they may take 24 hrs to hatch after they have pipped. Good luck and have fun!!!

3. L0rraine

L0rraine Songster

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    Quote:Does this mean you have babies?? I hope, I hope, I hope ...

4. chick123600

Apr 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    My two pips havent gotten any further than a ctack in the shell. No wait there are three pips.

5. karmlacres

karmlacres Songster

Oct 3, 2010
    I use a Little Giant. I have a PC-fan-converted-to-incubator-fan running in it. But I've also done this without the fan.

When I go into lockdown, I put in a sponge. To get more water into the incubator, I use a bendy-straw with a bottle that looks like a squeeze ketchup bottle. The nipple of it fits right into the straw. I squirt the water in through the straw. I move the straw from reservoir to reservoir and to the sponge. I make sure I always have water in there. I can then close off the vents (a little or a lot) to further up the humidity but I never close off all the vents so I can keep air flowing.

6. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Songster

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    I used to have an LG and I did the same karmlacres - ran a straw through one of the vent holes and added water to the channels and to a sponge if it started to get dry.

How are those babies doing? Hopefully you've got some little ones [​IMG] The pipped ones can take awhile to pop out - it's quite a bit of work busting through the shell so they will often rest for awhile. On the other hand sometimes you'll won't even have a pip, then you'll go back and check again and there's a baby [​IMG]

7. chick123600

Apr 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Im hoping to have some little ones soon. Its been about six hours since pip. Nothing yet. One they hatch I'll take pics.

8. chick123600

Apr 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Still nothing... This is hard. Lol.

9. justtoni44

justtoni44 Songster

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    It can take quite awhile......
    Just hard to wait.....

10. meepitqueenie

meepitqueenie Gallo's Poultry Haven

May 26, 2010
    in the adirondacks
    It can take a while my first hatch the eggs piped and 24 hrs later i had a chick. just depends on them.

on another note this am i had one egg almost fully zipped. i went to work and came back expecting a chick and nope - no progress...

i decided to take it out to look at it and the membrane had stuck to the chick and i used a moist clean sponge to try to unstick it.

I got the membrane loosened and found that the egg/membrane had stuck to the chicks head and wings. so now it is out of its shell.

i don't feel bad for what i did because if i would have left her in there she could have never gotten out. but i would not intervene unless you have to.

this is what the egg looked like this am

[​IMG]

8 hrs later poor thing still stuck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: