eggs not fertile

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BirdBrained, May 4, 2009.

1. BirdBrained

BirdBrained Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2009
    Alabama
    I recently bought 3 golden seabrights (over a year old) 1 roo and 2 hens,and after a couple of days of adjusting they began to lay.Well I was excited about getting some new fuzzy butts but neither of the hens became broody.I decided to build a bator and sock them in,upon checking yesterday(candling) I find that the eggs are not fertile.I know at one point the roo could do his part because the guy I got them from said he had some hatch out but a cat got them.I'm considering seperating the roo from the hens for about a week and then see if he is more interested,he's been with them for a long time I think but doesn't understand why that would matter.Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.Thank You.

2. jhm47

jhm47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    I think that the eggs are fertile, but your incubator might be the problem. What are you using for a thermometer? If it's not correct, and the eggs are getting overheated, it will kill them immediately. Far more eggs are rendered infertile by overheating than by too low of a temperature.

I'd suggest that you purchase a ready made incubator if you are really interested in hatching eggs. They don't cost much, and can save you a lot of heartache. Good luck!

3. BirdBrained

Apr 30, 2009
    Alabama
    I have the springfield thermometer/hygrometer and built this bator on a whim decided that if this hatch didnt work then I'd purchase a store bought,but the temps are staying within the range,98-104 are the readings from the highest to the lowest.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    jhm47 could be very correct. This link shows pictures of fertile eggs, so you could crack a couple, check them, and maybe take care of that concern. At least you will know it is not the eggs and you can concentrate onyour incubator.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16008

Thermometers are not always accurate. I suggest going to Walmart/Lowe's, wherever, look at their cheapie thermometers and observe the temperatures they are showing. You'll probably see a pretty good range of temperatures. Pick one in the middle and that agrees with most of the rest. Then take it home and compare it to your existing thermometer. True, this does not guarantee that the cheapie will be accurate at 100 degrees, but it should be pretty accurate around 70, the probable temperature at the store. This might tell you that your thermometer is not working or give you pretty good confidence it is working.

I don't have any good suggestions on making sure the humidity is right.

Good luck!!

6. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    if you can crack an egg open, take a pic and post it. we can help you tell if its fertile !!!

if you have a roo your eggs should be fertile so like another person said something else might be the prob !!

7. DANNY

DANNY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    GAINESVILLE, GEORGIA
    Even if the bator was not perfect the eggs would start to form. Have you checked for chicken mites?

8. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    I agree with Danny, the embryo will start to form even with improper temps, unless the bator is hard boiling them! What day are you checking the eggs? If the hens have extremely poopy buts that can prevent the roo from doing his job.

9. BirdBrained

Apr 30, 2009
    Alabama
    I candled them at day 10 and day 12,nothing has formed,just looks like a yolk I cracked 2 open and it looks like a reg store bought egg,the rest have the same appearence over the light.i do have the cheapo thermometer from wal-mart not sure how accurate it is but I figure its close.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by