Eggs not that tasty???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cookiesdaddy, Aug 21, 2007.

1. cookiesdaddy

cookiesdaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    California Bay Area
    I'm excited! At least 3 of our 4 girls are not laying - Buff Minorca, RIR and Black Sex Link. The Brown Leghorn should start anytime now. The Minorca was the first to lay 2 weeks ago, but the egg is still quite small.

One thing my wife and I have noticed is that our eggs are not as tasty as the fresh eggs we used to get from farmers. I also noticed that the yokes are kinda small too. Is this normal? Will the yoke get bigger and the egg taste better? Do I need to feed organic for better tasting eggs?

Our girls currently get the standard lay crumble, and plenty of treats and love from me! They have large coop and run area, and plenty of free range hours during the day. I'll post my complete coop & run pictures soon, I hope.

2. tink

tink Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2007
    upstate SC
    Yes ...they will great bigger and better.
    tink

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

The eggs will get bigger and better. Taste should be about the same though.

4. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I find it funny my sister won't eat the eggs from my girls. She says the yolk is to dark she likes them a real light color. My girls egg yolks are the darkest yellow and I think they taste great. I had to buy a carton from the store a few weeks ago and I couldn't eat it after I fixed it. It looked bland and the eggs looked runny & flat to me. Give me fresh eggs anyday!!!

5. chickenfeathers

chickenfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:We need to "eggucate" your sister! [​IMG]

6. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Certain kitchen scraps can cause a bad flavor - garlic and onions, for instance.

7. cookiesdaddy

cookiesdaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    California Bay Area
    The treat my girls seem to like most is just plain bread. No onion or garlic! They do get to free range a lot but I don't think they find much in my yard, other than dust and grass.

So can somebody attest to organic feed yielding better tasting eggs?

8. Chelly

Chelly Cooped Up

May 11, 2007
    Perhaps some fresh fruit and veg might get those eggs tasting better!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by