eggs not turned

Fitzy5

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 20, 2012
Ireland
I'm currently hatching out eggs in school. The automatic turner wasn't working for first 6 days but I rectified this on day 7. Everything else was maintained - temp and humidity. It is now day 14 and black spots appear quite large in eggs. On day 1, eggs were turned as I put incubator back together due to water spillage underneath in tray. Is there any chance that these chicks will hatch next Tue?

Hello! So sorry you're seeing black spots--that isn't a good sign. What happens is, the embryo implants itself in the wrong place in the egg, and then it dies. The turning prevents that from happening.

Did all the eggs have black spots when you candled? The black spot usually means the embryo has died. If you gently turn the egg when candling and the black spot just floats lifelessly, then it's surely a dead embryo.

I went through this myself once. I didn't turn my eggs during storage, before I began incubating, and I believe that was why I had so many eggs that didn't hatch.

If you candle the eggs again, you should be able to see which ones are growing nicely, and which ones are quitters.

BYC has some great egg candling pics (just search egg candling pics) and you can see what the healthy embryos look like.

I surely hope you get some little chicks for the kids! Good luck to you,
Sharon

Here's a good example of what you should be seeing at Day 13/14. Lots of dark area, veining, and a well defined air sac (see the straight vertical line at the left/large end of this egg?) If your eggs were shipped, the air sac may look a little wonky, but should be well defined.

Yep, the ones I candled kinda look like this with clear area on bottom. Room isn't dark enough to see veins though. Is that a good sign then? Kids will be disappointed if nothing hatches. Just wanted to know that it isn't an impossibility that they would hatch....
Thanks a mil

Oh boy, I think I misread your message.....I jumped to conclusions when I read "black spots". If you're seeing what this other member showed you, then it looks like you'll have chicks soon!

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Sharon

Fitzy, I think the signs are very good so far. Mine usually have the clear area (remaining egg white) in the pointy end, too, unlike the candling picture I posted. As they continue to develop you will see the egg continue to fill with dark area and by lockdown will be all dark except the air sac.

Best of luck!!

Edited for spelling......

Last edited:
Checked one egg today again in school. Looks good I think. They're due to hatch Tue as I put them in incubator on a Mon night. If I turn off turner Friday after school and turn up humidity when I go in on Mon will that do?

Good luck! I am incubating eggs in my classroom now too...due to hatch this coming Tuesday as well...even though I've hatched several batches of eggs at home, it makes me nervous to do it at school...if I don't get a good hatch at home, it's only me who will be disappointed...if I don't at school...well...you know.

Hope that you have some chickies next week at this time!
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom