Eggs per Hen per Week....After Molt?

Ma

Songster
12 Years
Aug 10, 2007
Camanche, Iowa
My pullets (age 7 months) are all laying 1 egg per hen per day. (Even in our below zero temperatures, God Bless them).

When will they have their first molt, and how will this affect egg production?

I was told after they molt, they will lay only 1 egg per hen per week. Is this true?

TIA
Ma

I am surprised they are laying 1 per day, every day? Mine skip a day or two a week.

They will not lay more than one per day since it take 24 hours or more to produce an egg.

jumpy.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif
D.gif

Thank you for the replies! Most appreciated. I didn't think production would fall that much....this source was iffy at best.

And oh yes. My girls are laying everyday, its amazing. I collect eggs all day. Some start as soon as dawn, and others thru till dusk. Its quite possible I suppose that one who lays early one day, lays late the next, giving her the aforementioned 24 hours in between. But since I keep count, I know if one misses a day, which, as stated, happens rarely.

I adore my girls, if they never laid another egg, they would still be worth gold for all the enjoyment (and therapy
roll.png
) they provide for me.

Ma

It does depend somewhat on the breed, however you should still be collecting eggs most days. My hens have went through 2 molts and are laying prolly 5 eggs weekly each and these are 3 year old birds. Usually you will see larger eggs from the hens after a molt when they are no longer pullets.

bigzio

Back
Top Bottom