eggs problems

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by broken bridge farms, Dec 23, 2011.

1. broken bridge farms

broken bridge farms Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2011
    i had 15 egg in the incubator 7 hatched the rest didn't i left them a week longer when i get rid of them there was died chicks in most of them. some of the eggs are harder then the rest is that normal

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Not much you can do about it really....some birds lay thick shells and some don't.

3. dickhorstman

dickhorstman Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Dec 8, 2009
    burgettstown,pa
    If there were dead chicks in the eggs it is most likely a temperature or humidity problem. I would calibrate the thermometer and hygrometer. There could be other reasons but that is the most likely.

4. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Quote:Yup, good advice. If your chicks hatched on or very close to day 21 then that's a sign that your temps were probably okay, but earlier than day 20 or later than day 22 and your temps were probably off quite a bit. If your temps were good then humidity issues are the most likely problem. Over humidifying chicks can be a common mistake. Another cause of fully developed chicks that just don't hatch is poor hygiene and bacterial contamination, either with the breeder or in the incubator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by