Eggs safe to eat?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by staceyl, Nov 30, 2009.

1. staceyl

staceyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2009
    I think I know the answer to this, but I need some reassurance. We were out of town Wed - Sunday. I had told my neighbor to take the egss while we were gone, but yesterday when I got home it was obvious that he had not. So I think the eggs were layed at various times over 5 days. We don't have a rooster and temps are generally mild this time of year here (35 - 50). Will they be okay to eat?

2. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    Yes.

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    They should be fine. I break each one in a side bowl before I use them, so if one smells bad I can toss it.

4. rhondaa

rhondaa Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2009
    North Tx
    we also were gone the same amount of time, i have roosters does that change the amount of time egg can be eaten? Also how do you store eggs when you are getting a ton a day...put in fridge, someone said you could store them in dated egg cartons on counter? how long do they have unstored in fridge and stored in fridge? help:confused:

thanks

5. staceyl

staceyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2009
    Fertilized eggs last as long as unfertized - as long as no one sits on them. [​IMG] That was my only point about the lack of rooster that there is no chance we would have some start to develop.
    I think lots of people store theirs on the counter. I don't. I only have 3 chickes so they don't take up much fridge room.

6. Tweeza

Tweeza Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2008
    New England
    I don't put my eggs in the fridge unless I think they've been on the counter more than about a week and a half. I've never had a rotten egg. I supposed I should put them in the fridge sooner but...

7. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    I can't fit eggs in my fridge right now with all the T-giving leftovers. I have eggs on my counter and several in my coop (pulled out of the nest and set aside. I figure it is cooler in the coop than the house and no one is interested in being broody (plus we don't have any egg eaters). Unless it is summer outside, I wouldn't worry! [​IMG]

8. davidb

davidb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2008
    north east Georgia
    there safe to eat, but if your feeling uneasy about eating them and have plenty of eggs toss them

9. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    You can test an egg by putting it in water, if it floats it is a bad egg. Yours should be fine.

10. obchix

obchix Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    People in other cultures actually never put eggs in the reefer(egg gets layed, put in container, taken to store, put on shelf, sold to customer). So long as you dont wash them... the protective coating will keep the bad stuff out. Also people that go on long sea voyages say they last for months without refrigeration. Not sure I would go that far....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by