Eggs soon, or?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sebloc, Sep 22, 2016.

1. sebloc

sebloc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2016
    Connecticut
    Hello
    We have 6 chickens (5 hens) and are HOPEFULLY expecting eggs soon. We got them at 2-3 weeks old on Mothers Day, so they're about 22-24 weeks old. BRs,BOs, and RIRs. Pictures tagged below. Hopefully this will show how red their faces are and what your judgement would be. I tagged our rooster just to compare the male age to the female age, and the development.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Rooster

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    They aren't quite there yet, probably another month or so.

3. sebloc

May 7, 2016
    Connecticut
    So they're really slow to mature

4. ChickenChaser9

ChickenChaser9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2016
    No they are maturing at a NATURAL rate. You are more than welcome to read about your breeds by simply googling their breed name with the standard of perfection. Don't get in a hurry, let NATURE take its course. Best wishes.

5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Not at all - these birds are all right on target for maturation. They don't mature quite as fast as the high production breeds/hybrids, but they are not slow by any means.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  6. Pendragonz

Pendragonz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2015
    NWA
    I've got a mixed flock, and it sounds like I've got a few more weeks on my BR's, and BA's. When would you expect Red Stars, and Black Stars to start laying? My ladies are 17 1/2 weeks old. Would appreciate any feedback. Thank you.

7. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    Yep, you have a ways to go. Those combs are still pretty pink, I would also say at least another month.

As I have noted in other posts, the authors who wrote the books on chickens didn't bother giving the instructions to the chickens. Some mature faster than others, even within the same breeds, just like any other animal. Just be patient.
    Prtetty birds by the way. Really like that roo.
    Expect 3-5 eggs per day from 5 hens, 2-3/day during winter unless you provide increased lighting.

8. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I have a mixed flock...Orpingtons, Danish Brown Leghorns, EEs, Brahma, Ameruacana and a Bantam...Ranging from 16 weeks to 19 weeks old.
    My Danish Brown has been in the nest boxes for a week checking them out..I hung my nest box curtains 2 days ago and to my shock my my Bantam was the first to lay an egg yesterday The cutest little green egg....Still no egg from my Danish but I am not concerned...All my hens look ready to start laying...larger red combs and wattles...
    Every hen will lay when she is ready..I never use fake eggs and my hens always use the nest boxes...Sometimes a hen might lay on the floor? Although it never lasts long...Once they get into laying they always use a nest box...

The pullets in the photos are getting redder but the combs and wattles will grow a bit larger and much redder before your first egg...

Relax and enjoy your birds...
    We all wait, and then wait some more..

Cheers

9. sebloc

May 7, 2016
    Connecticut
    Thanks everyone. Got to go drop off our unwanted rooster at a farm a day or so ago and noticed some of the same breeds we have, just a slight shade redder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by