eggs starting to hatch.....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by GreenAcresFarm, May 30, 2010.

1. GreenAcresFarm

GreenAcresFarm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2010
    West Olive
    I am new to this, how long do you keep them in the bator after they have hatched???
    Thanks!

2. SarahIrl

SarahIrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    West Cork, Ireland
    Some say until the htach is done or up to two days or so, depending on which comes first. Personally after about two and a half hours and they are as dry as they can get in 70-80% humidity. Then into a really warm brooder.

3. GreenAcresFarm

GreenAcresFarm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2010
    West Olive
    do you need to add food/water or wait until the 24 hour mark when I can put them in the brooder.

4. SarahIrl

SarahIrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    West Cork, Ireland
    Nope, they have a belly full of newly absorbed yolk. I wait until the last has gone into the brooder, or the first has been there 24 hours. Introduce water first, and tap on the edge with your finger or dip their beaks in it (easier said than done). When they start to make their way over to drink, add in the feed and they will simply find it. I gave mine finely chopped hard boiled egg for the first two days on a saucer. Switched it to crumb on a saucer and then the feed. Tiny chicks will drown themselves if they can, so be careful with what you give it them in, a proper water feeder is ideal, if you need to use a bowl, add in marbles so they can't flop into it and drown.

And I forgot to add, congrats!!!!

Last edited: May 30, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by