Eggs stuck in the mail! - one hatched!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BeardedChick, Dec 20, 2008.

1. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

They arrived a few days late after being stuck in Denver due to a snowy mountain pass. The interesting thing was despite how cold the box and eggs felt, the temperature inside the egg measured at 40+ degrees and the yolk did not appear to be damaged or scrambled from freezing. I measured by sacrificing one egg and sticking my needle probe thermometer into the middle of it while it was still in the packaging & then gently chipped off the shell to eggtopsy the yolk. Figured I might as well know if they were frozen solid in there.

Makes me think there's some small chance for a hatchling or two! Hope springs eternal!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    ..[​IMG]..good luck!..keep us posted!

3. BeardedChick

Thanks! I really expected to find eggcicles. I don't think they would have warmed up that much if they had frozen hard during transit?

[​IMG]

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Doesnt take long for an egg to thaw out from what ive seen. I left a carton of eggs outside over night not to long ago, Took about 10-15 at room temp to thaw.

Good luck !!!!

5. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    All you can do is try while we wait here breathlessly hoping for affirmation that some of our eggs that got cold could survive!

6. BeardedChick

Day 3 candling shows veining in all the eggs except maybe 1. Not sure about long term viability, but they have made it further than I thought they might!

7. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    [​IMG]

Thats great !!!!! Hope they all make it to be healthy chicks.... Keep us updated !!

8. flamingauburnmustang

flamingauburnmustang Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    South Africa
    That's good. Let us know how it goes. [​IMG]

9. BeardedChick

Day 10 candling -

3 eggs had blood rings and were tossed

2 are definitely viable and there is a little fish-frog thrashing around inside

1 looks to be clear, but I reserved it for another look at day 14 just in case the embryo is there but hard to see

10. kick'n chick'n

kick'n chick'n Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    tennessee
    [​IMG] [​IMG] keeping fingers crossed for ya!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by