Eggs tasting strange - feeding advice, perhaps?

Avie02

Chirping
Feb 3, 2021
Hi everyone,

I have one laying hen who we have had for about 4 weeks (unsure of her age).

When we first got her the eggs were tasty. However, for the last couple of days I have noticed that her eggs taste like strong grain and they are quite unpleasant. I have been feeding her a top quality product here in New Zealand (https://topflite.co.nz/product/poultry-scratch-lay/) and I am wondering if this could be causing the strange taste and, if so, what should I feed her?

I have read articles about eggs tasting fishy, but this is not the case here. I don't taste any fishy-ness, it's more like a faint taste of what I imagine soiled barnyard hay would taste like, haha. (sorry, that's the only way I can describe it). Is this normal? ....maybe that's how a good farm fresh egg should taste, I don't know.

Would love some advice!

Does she get free range time in the yard? Maybe she's finding something that's changing the flavor of the eggs.
Yes, she is free-range all-day in a large fenced paddock. I'm just not sure what she could have found that would make the eggs like this...

Yeah tough to say, because this means it could be something in the environment or in the feed (though I didn't see anything that really stood out with the feed and you had her eggs before which were fine). Hopefully someone who has tasted something like this can help pinpoint what it could be.

Back
Top Bottom