Eggs to hatch SOON

cajunlizz

Songster
11 Years
Apr 27, 2008
Lafayette, Louisiana
I have eggs under a hen that should be hatched in another 7 days ...

1st. time at hatching baby chicks so I have alot of questions .

How soon do I start them on chick starter ? How long do i keep them on the starter before switching to the next stage and would that be GROWER ?

What age is it ok to MIX these new chicks with the rest of the flock ? Will the mother take care of them and protect them from bullies ?

I have separated the HEN with her nest and eggs into a cage . Once eggs are hatched , HOW long before I put her back with the flock ?

Make sure you have plenty of chick starter and water in reach of both the hen and any chicks that might hatch. She will eat the starter too which is very good for her being high in protein after coming off a brood. She will teach the chicks everything they need know if you step back and don't interfere. Just provide shelter food and water. She will do the rest. She will usually be done with the chicks in about 6 weeks or so. She may completely abandon them or may gradually peck and run them off from her. There are some hens that will brood her 'chicks' until they are nearly as big as she is but this isn't common.

The same as any other chick feed the starter/grower until they are laying age. Most places have a starter/grower combo. If your feed mill/store has them separate it usually runs about 6 - 8 weeks on starter, then switch to grower and then to layer when the pullets start to lay.

Most hens will keep other chickens away from her babies but things do happen for the worse and other hens and roosters will kill the chicks. It is best to put her and the babies in a safe but separate place from others. A place where they can see her and the chicks and get used to them. She will be ready to get back to the flock long before the chicks are ready to mix. You can test the waters and see if she will protect them from the flock and if not separate them again.

My broody was finished at 6 weeks and wanted out but the flock did not accept her babies and we have had to pen them separate waiting for them to get big enough to defend themselves when turned out with the flock. Just like with other chicks I won't try again to mix them until at least 16 weeks of age.

ok thanks for the great advice .

Kinda like another problem I have . I have 8 cochrin bantams and their cage is inside the chicken run and they can be seen 24/7 by the rest of the flock .

BUT tried twice to mix and NO WAY . Maybe the cage is to tall and they can really NOT see each other as well as I think they do . CAGE is 6 ft. tall and against to front outer wall of the coop . SO they are ALL in run together . ANY suggestions on this ?

Back
Top Bottom