Eggs too hard to hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BlakeMama, Nov 10, 2014.

1. BlakeMama

BlakeMama Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2014
    The shells of eggs laid by our chickens have always been harder than the shells of eggs you get in a supermarket, and I understand that's totally normal.
    We have been incubating fertilized eggs, and have hatched two so far (it was a highly staggered hatch). Unfortunately, we had a big temperature spike (+104 degrees overnight[​IMG]) in the bator. The eggs are a very dark brown and are somewhat difficult to candle. About 3 days after the spike, I did a water float test to check for viability. Sadly, about half of our eggs failed the float test.
    I wanted to find out about how far along they were at the point where they died, but had a really, really hard time breaking open the eggs. Like, really hard. Like, wow, this is ridiculous, I can't hardly break these eggs.
    Also, with the first two hatches, one had to be assisted because she couldn't seem to get through the outer membrane, which was really tough. I ended up pulling the outer membrane and picking the shell just enough to give her room to get out.
    I have wet sponges in the bator and maintain a relatively high humidity. Is it possible my eggs are too hard to hatch? Is there something I can do to help with that? Having just lost so many, and realizing how hard the eggs are in the process, I would hate to have any more issues. Thanks for any insight!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by