Eggs under broody hen and incubator -*Update with Pictures*

urbanhomesteader

Songster
14 Years
Feb 26, 2007
Yorba Linda, CA
My hen Nebula went broody and I decided to let her try to hatch some eggs. I sent out a call for eggs quick and ended up being sent 18. (Way more than I can keep if they hatch.)
Not knowing if my hen will be a good brooder or mommy I was to nervous to put them all under her so I split them up. Half went under her and half into the 'bator. Yeah, I am a belt and suspender kind of gal.

It took longer than I hoped for the 'bator to get a consistent temp so I set the eggs in it a day after the broody got her eggs.

Nebula is on day 5 and the 'bator eggs are day 4. The eggs that were sent me are a mixed batch of bantam eggs. Possibly Sebright, Black Rosecomb, Cochin Bantams, Japanese Bantams, Polish,various colored Araucana's and Modern Game. We will see what I end up with.

Last edited:
And the race is on. Good luck.
big_smile.png

I did the same and my broody had 2 chicks hatched and dried before the bater started. After about 3 days,I took the 7 chicks from the bater and gave them to the hen and her 6 chicks. She has all 13 and is as happy as can be.

Things work in a strange way sometimes:
I had three hens all go broody the same day and I didn't have any fertile eggs. So in a panic, I started trying to find eggs to set them with. I guess I got confused or my calculator malfunctioned or something. Ugh, anyways, I now have 63 orpington eggs in incubation, 24 under the hens and 39 in the bator.
Some would say that there was a slight miscalculation on my part. I say, "I just had a senior moment!"
lau.gif
old.gif

Oh my goodness. I thought I was bad with 18 eggs.
lol.png

Its day 17 and I am down to 6 eggs. 12 of them never developed. So I have three under the broody and three in the 'bator.

Of course another hen has gone broody
roll.png
so I may switch out the non-fertile eggs she is sitting on for the three in the 'bator at the last minute.

Last edited:
Hey urbanhomesteader, I'm about 15 miles north of you in Hacienda Heights. Nice to hear that someone fairly local has chickens other than us! People look at us like we're nuts cause we have so many chickens...well, we are nuts
wink.png

I'm going to put some eggs under my broody tonight and I'm so excited I can hardly stand it. I swore I'd never do this, but here we go! I'll be looking forward to hearing the outcome of your eggs.

Hey fun monitor,

You are pretty close to us. It is nice to know that we aren't the only crazy chicken lovin' people around.
Good luck with your hatch. Let us know how it goes.

I thought I was the only crazy one who put eggs under a broody and in the bator at the same time.
wink.png

We are on day 20, 2 eggs have pipped in the bator and my broody has begun that home stretch sitting and refuses to let me check her eggs now.

Well its been a 5days since my first chick hatched so I thought I would update. I have 6 beautifull chicks. Four went to Nebula, the original broody and 2 went to Noxy. I have moved both hens to enclosed runs where they can take the little ones out or stay in side with them.
First photo is Nebula watching her babies from inside her nest.

nebulababies.jpg

Next is Noxy with one of her two babies.
nebssmall.jpg

she just discovered the fun game of jump on momma,jump off momma. She played this game for five minutes.
nebsbaby.jpg

Back
Top Bottom