Eggs vs Vaccine

Hawkster318

In the Brooder
12 Years
Sep 24, 2007
North Freedom Wisconsin
We administered the AE vaccine supplied by MMH to our adult flock today.

Should we be concerned about the eggs produced by the hens and if so, for how long?

I know AE doesn't affect humans, so I would think the eggs would be fine.

Thank you for your input.

Alan

I'm not familiar with the results of the vaccine, but am wondering why you weren't aware of the consequences from the shot before it was adminstered to the flock?

Why would you choose to medicate when not necessary?

Backyard flocks are very healthy if cared for properly, and shots to avoid a unlikely situation is not a practice most folks deem necessary, in my opinion.

I think being prepared here first before any panic evolved, would have been a better choice.

bigzio

Try looking up the manufacturer of the vaccine on the web, they should have some information on it on their web site.

Since this is a vaccine and not a medication, I think it is was ok to CYA in this type of situation. Especially since it is not a shot and vaccine you put in the water.....

Ok, I just read some info from Lohman Animal Health. It is recommended to vaccinate breeding flocks at 16-18 weeks of age, before the onset of laying.

It says if you vaccinate when hens are laying the vaccine can cause reduced productivity and can pass through the egg and infect chicks with the virus.

So, don't hatch the eggs for a few weeks. I'm sorry, but I did not see anything about eating or not eating the eggs.

Quote:
Oh, but I am aware of the common consequences, but have yet to see anything one way or the other about the eggs.

We choose to medicate because the State Vet (Wisc. Dept of Ag) who was out said we should. I suppose I should have consulted you first though for your opinion.

Also, as far as I can see, no one is in a panic around here.

pips&peeps :

Try looking up the manufacturer of the vaccine on the web, they should have some information on it on their web site.

Since this is a vaccine and not a medication, I think it is was ok to CYA in this type of situation. Especially since it is not a shot and vaccine you put in the water.....

P&P,

Their website didn't have much info, we checked that out, but thank you for the suggestion.​

pips&peeps :

Ok, I just read some info from Lohman Animal Health. It is recommended to vaccinate breeding flocks at 16-18 weeks of age, before the onset of laying.

It says if you vaccinate when hens are laying the vaccine can cause reduced productivity and can pass through the egg and infect chicks with the virus.

So, don't hatch the eggs for a few weeks. I'm sorry, but I did not see anything about eating or not eating the eggs.

Jean,

That is what we had seen too. We don't hatch the eggs currently, so should be fine there.

Thank you again.​

Back
Top Bottom