Eggs were washed - need to vent...

I'm glad this came up... I have a broody sitting on 8 eggs that are kinda poopy. I was wondering this morning if I should clean them up or just leave them be.....

Quote:
Excellent point!

Actually the hen turns the eggs just and shifts them around as she sits on them and that does clean them. Next time you have a hen sitting on a clutch of eggs take some mud and rub it on one egg, go back a day or so later and see if you can find the mud.

Steve in NC

I never wash eggs before I incubate them and I always have 100% fertility and started development. Only a few stop or die for some reason. I used to only put "clean" eggs in bator and would actually boil the dirty eggs and mash them up and feed them back to the chickens. But it got to where I was getting more dirty eggs than clean (my chickens freerange and get in nest with dirty/muddy feet, and some of the younger ones roost on nest boxes at night and poop in them) so I just started putting the dirty ones in the bator. Still having great results.

The only time I ended up with a whole batch of dead eggs was the time I washed them after the fact. When I gathered my first duck eggs (and the ducks lay in the mud and the eggs are filthy) I put the dirty eggs in bator to see if they were fertile. Once I candled and saw embryo development and movement I decided to wash the eggs. So I used a damp cloth to clean off the duck eggs and put them back and every embryo died. My chicken eggs in bator at same time which were not washed did not die.

I've had a broody hen lay her eggs on the coop floor, sit on them for 21 days, roll them around and everyone hatched. My ducks dig holes in the mud and lay their eggs and everyone I've put in bator hatches.

I believe that natural protective barrier is there for a reason and would not wash it off.

I do feel a bit better after hearing some of your responses. I'm glad to know that people have good hatches with washed eggs. I guess maybe the hand turning isn't helping, huh?

I'll share a quick little bit of info with you: I DO NOT wash an egg for anything. I set them all just the way I find them. IF, for some unforeseen reason I do need to get some poop off the egg, I keep a little bucket full of fine sand in the hatching house to use. Put your egg over in the bucket and gently rub the sand over the dirty spots. It will remove the dirty and not harm the egg.

GREAT idea!! Thanks
big_smile.png

I use a soft bristled dry toothbrush to gently get some of the loose dirt off, I just don't like the idea of washing my hands just to touch poopy eggs. I've rinsed some eggs , and they hatched just like the unrinsed ones.

Back
Top Bottom